This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Meet Melissa Olan! She is a sophomore from High Point, NC and part of the Communication Studies department. Mel’s favorite color is purple, her spirit animal is a water buffalo, and her favorite meme is definitely the “blinking guy” 

HC: Why are you a COM major?

MO: “I am a COM major because I love to communicate with other people and I want to be someone who helps other people get their messages across.”

HC: Do you have a hidden talent?

MO: “I am missing cartilage in my elbow so I can turn my whole arm around.”

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

MO: “I am a student ambassador, I am also involved in ACE, Spoon, and Crossfit Club.”

HC: Where would you want to be taken on a date in Wilmington?

MO: “Palm Tree Island, because it is f****ing cool.”

HC: What’s the first thing you notice about someone you’re attracted to?

MO: “The first thing I always notice about a guy is his lips because I find lips really attractive… Also, shoulders.”

[Photos Courtesy of Melissa Olan, Giphy]

Julia is currently a Senior at UNCW studying Business, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Spanish. She hopes to pursue a career in marketing for a company working towards environmental sustainability and stewardship. Her humorous and honest disposition shows through her writing here at Her Campus. Some of her favorite hobbies include painting, pottery, yoga, cooking and making people laugh.