This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Name: Samantha Ruark

Year: Junior

Major: Communication Studies

Hometown: Fayetteville, NC

Sam is a junior at UNCW who is currently studying abroad at the Univeristy of Stirling in Scotland.

HC: What inspired you to choose Stirling as the place you wanted to study abroad at?​

SR: It was really a process of elimination for me. I always knew I wanted to study abroad so I looked at all of the Com Studies exchange programs, googled Stirling, and said, “This one looks pretty.” Aside from the pictures, I figured that Scotland was an English speaking country and it’s not somewhere that a ton of people usually go [to]..so better chances to get in for me.

HC: How was it first leaving America for Scotland? How did you feel?​

SR: I feel like any big change in life is really scary, at least for me it is. I was super nervous, but I actually didn’t cry or anything when I left, which was weird. Traveling alone is kind of stressful but as soon as I was on my own I felt really independent and excited for what was ahead of me.

HC: What has been the best part of studying abroad so far?​

SR: Food! Kidding, that’s a good part of it, but probably the friends that I’ve made, being able to travel all over Europe, and being able to be off on your own away from the usual responsiblities.

HC: What has been the biggest thing you have learned about living in another culture?

SR: ALWAYS respect the other culture. You should never expect the country you’re visiting to cater to your every American need. Try your best to pick up on the basic things whether it’s the language, flow of traffic, currency, etc. It’s weird at first, but locals will respect you so much more for trying rather than not. Things are different than they are at home, but that’s kind of the point of going abroad; you’re forced outside of your comfort zone. I have also learned that there are two sheep for every one person in Scotland.

HC: What advice do you have for someone who is interested in studying abroad?​

SR: If you have any interest in studying abroad at all, go to the study abroad office and bother them as much as you can! I probably went there at least five times before I decided to apply to Stirling. It’s their job to find the right program for you. I would also say talk to students who have been on the same program you’re interested in. The more information you get, the better! Most importantly, JUST DO IT. Studying abroad has been one of the best parts of my college life and it’s worth all of the planning and anxiety I promise.

[Photos courtesy of Samantha Ruark]

A junior at UNC Wilmington double majoring in English-Professional Writing and Communication Studies, Casey aspires to work in the field of journalism post-grad. Not only is she Co-Campus Correspondent, but she is also the Editor in Chief of her school's paper, is a writing tutor and has an obsession with early twentieth century American literature.