9 Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting at UNCW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

1. You will walk. A lot.

UNCW’s campus is a lot bigger than your high school’s was, so get ready to get some good exercise from going to classes.

2. Always be prepared for rain. Always.

It could be 85 and sunny on your way to class and pouring sheets when you get out. Go ahead and invest in those rainboots.

3. Chancellor’s Walk is to be treated like an official roadway.

Look both ways before crossing. Walk on the right side. Bike in the (unofficial) bike lane. Prepare to witness accidents.

4. Dorm life is pretty great. Enjoy it while you can.

You’re going to get so many opportunities to meet new people while you’re living in a dorm, not to mention opportunities to eat free pizza.

5. The Landing is the home of the best sandwiches on campus.

If you can find it, you should try it.

6. The Rec Center is paid for by your tuition, so you should at least check it out.

They have lots of group exercise classes, basketball and volleyball courts, an indoor pool, an outdoor pool, a track, and more.

7. There’s free tutoring available for almost any class at the University Learning Center.

By free I mean the price is included in your tuition. So you might as well make use of it, right? In all seriousness, this is the place to go when you find yourself struggling in a class.

8. Going to games could get you a free shirt.

If you get the Team Teal app and check-in at every UNCW athletic event you attend, you can rack up points and win prizes!

9. This is where you will find out who you are.

You’re not just here to learn about the world; you’re also here to learn about yourself. The next four years will teach you so much, and it’s only just begun.

I'm a Math major, Spanish minor, and lover of puns. Sometimes I eat cereal in the middle of the day. My mom seriously thought about naming me Ursula, and when she told me this later I got mad because I loved the Little Mermaid and she was gonna name me after the villain. Oh yeah and I really like to write. That's about all you need to know.