5 Things I Wish I Knew When Starting College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

I came into college this year as a freshman thinking, “I made it.”  I survived 12 years of silly classes I had no interest in, now I’m finally on my way to figuring out what I love to do.  Naively pumped for all of the freedom I was about to experience and people I was going to meet, I was in for a rude awakening that first semester would give me.  Here are five things I wish I knew about three months ago when I started this whole college thing:

1. You will have 8 a.m. classes. I don’t know about everyone else, but I had this preconceived idea that my daily routine would involve sleeping until noon everyday and heading to the beach at least five times a week.  Turns out that is not remotely true.  As a freshman, you usually get the worst pick of classes possible, including the worst possible times as well.  If you thought you were a morning person before, think again. Also, the beach thing happens maybe twice a week… on the weekend… if you don’t have homework that is.

2. You will spend a lot of time feeling inadequate. The first few weeks of classes were a breeze for me; I loved it.  I felt like I had my life together and everything was going well. Suddenly something happened around the middle of the semester when I got really confused in every class.  Regardless of all the nights spent in the library, countless tutoring sessions, and hundreds of emails back and fourth to teachers, I still somehow manage to feel behind and struggling on a daily basis, which is NOT fun.  During freshman year, you really realize that being “smart” in high school is child’s play compared to being  “smart” in college.  They are on two very different spectrums.

3. You will probably gain some weight.  Being a former health freak, too afraid to buy school lunches in high school, the transition from the luxury of organic fruits and veggies everyday to mac and cheese in the dining hall really threw me for a loop.  Between going out, having nothing to eat but Wagoner (with mysterious nutritional value), being swamped with hours of classes and homework, all while trying to stay awake, going to the gym everyday is just unrealistic. Looking for the organic fruits and veggies in the dining hall is nearly impossible sometimes, too.

4. You will be homesick 98% of the time. I went to school excited about my new independence and ability to do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted.  The thought that of being surrounded by a bunch of new friends, a beautiful beach and a heavy class load, I would miss my mom saying goodnight to me every night never crossed my mind.  Life at school is awesome, don’t get me wrong, but missing little things from home, like your puppies greeting you at the door every day, or your best friends laugh, is unavoidable.

5. You will not be a nutritionist…or nurse…or teacher… During high school I told myself I was going to be a nutritionist, make tons of money, and live in a huge house in the city.  Turns out the major requirements for nutrition surpass anything I personally want to do.  After that, I switched to the fantasy that I would be a nurse, which lasted about a week when I discovered chemistry and I don’t mix at all.  I’ve dabbled in the thought of becoming a teacher, a business major, a psychologist, a little bit of everything.  This dabbling lasts about a week, tops, until I discover something about the major requirements that I’m either incapable of, or can’t see myself doing for the rest of my life.  

The positive part of being a freshman is the fact that I have time.  Something that has gotten me through the past semester when times have gotten a bit tough is the fact that nothing is permanent yet.  I won’t always have all 8 a.m. classes; I won’t always feel like I don’t understand a course;  the weight I’ve gained isn’t there to stay; I’m going to see my puppies in two weeks; and I wont always be clueless about where my future is taking me.  First semester freshman year, you got the best of me, but I’m ready to take on the next few years!