bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Simple Ways to Destress This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

The fall semester is kicking into high gear with heavier homework loads, exams beginning and project ideas exchanged. Some of us also have jobs that take up potential study time and commitments to clubs can sometimes feel overwhelming. All of us feel stressed at some point in time and it is a proven fact that stress is harmful to one’s health, affecting the ability to focus, or even be in a good mood. So, when the stress slowly finds its way into your life, consider some of these ways to get rid of or lessen the amount of tension you feel.

1) Listen to Music

According to www.healthline.com playing music can lower blood pressure, decrease cortisol (a particular hormone that is connected with stress), along with many other positive physical and mental affects on the body.  So, find a good song to dance to or some classical calming tunes and turn it up to reduce the stress you might be feeling!

2) Eat Healthy Foods

Stress can cause many people to crave sugary treats or can lead to a lack of eating in some instances. It’s important to remember to make a conscious effort to avoid the chocolate and pick up an apple instead. Not only will this keep up your healthy habits, but healthy foods are proven to reduce symptoms of stress and increase energy levels.

3) Take a Nap

Napping is one little thing you can do for yourself to not only reduce stress, but also give you a break from your daily activities. Not sleeping well or enough is linked to stress, so it’s important to either try to get to bed or early or take at least a 20-minute power nap when you get time.

4) Talk to Someone

Whether it is a friend or your mom, call up someone you trust to talk to or make a coffee date with your best friend. Talking to someone can help lift some of the stress you feel and let out anxiety. It’s important to express how you’re feeling from time to time or else the build up of stress can become overwhelming and too difficult to deal with. Also, it has been shown that laughing is a good de-stressor, so letting loose a little with your friends and getting in some laughs every now and then could be beneficial for your health.

5) Exercise

Releasing endorphins is amazing for releasing stress! It’s also a great way to keep fit. Any amount of exercise helps, that’s why it’s important to possibly go for a short walk around campus, take a couple of hours out of a day to go to the gym, or head to a yoga class to control your breathing. Any form of safe exercising can reduce stress and will help you to feel much better.

Managing stress during college is crucial to student’s well-being. Let us know ways that you destress!