This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Do you often find yourself trying to figure out literally anything else to do but your work? Instead of writing that paper, you decide to reorganize your closet? As an alternative to studying for an exam it all of a sudden becomes a good time to watch Netflix, clean your room, google every question that pops into your head? Yeah, you’re procrastinating. While procrastination is normal, not doing anything about it is basically self-sabotage. Here’s a few ways to stop making excuses, block out distractions and tackle your work.

Find a study spot

It’s easy to find distractions when you try to do your work in a familiar place. Trying to study in your room may not be the best choice, since you’re so comfortable being there. Relocating to a study room, the library, a quiet corner in the EUC or even the closest coffee shop could be beneficial. Having a change of scenery can allow you to be more productive and force you to focus on what needs to get done.

Break it down

Often the thought of doing a large task can be overwhelming. Knowing you have to write a 10 page paper can seem so daunting that you don’t even know where to begin, which could lead to avoid even starting. Breaking a big assignments into smaller tasks can make everything seem more manageable, and can also help you with organization.

Make time

Having a specific time reserved each day to study or do work is essential. Setting aside designated time to be productive throughout the week should be a priority. Treat this time as something non-negotiable and don’t schedule anything else to avoid doing assignments. It’s also important to be aware of what times of day are best for you. If you get a little sluggish after meals or after a certain time at night, then don’t schedule it then.

Block Distractions

Most homework is done on the computer, and with that comes the limitless distractions available online. It’s so easy to open another tab and check Facebook even though you know you’re wasting time. For those of us who have a hard time resisting these temptations, there’s actually extensions for Google Chrome that can help you stop. StayFocusd, Strict Workflow, Productivity Owl and Chrome Nanny all help you stay away from sites you don’t need to be on, as well as manage your time.

Make it a group effort

If you’re still having a hard time getting things accomplished on your own, maybe joining a study group would help. Creating a study group with classmates is a great way to review material or get help with assignments. Knowing you’ll be held accountable for keeping up and participating with the group could be all you need to make sure to keep on top of your work.