neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Recommended Class: Yoga (DCE 330)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

If you are the type of person who wants to do yoga but doesn’t have the motivation to do it on your own ( just like me) then I would suggest taking a class in yoga. Not the yoga classes at a recreational center, although those are fun, but an actual class where you can get graded. Grades/GPA are great motivators!

The yoga class I’m taking is called DCE 330: Iyengar Yoga with Janet Lilly. It does not have any prerequisites nor do you need to have any prior knowledge of the subject before joining, you will learn the history, names, and poses as time goes on. There’s no need to buy props (such as mats) unless you want your own. The teacher is extremely nice and she makes you work with partners at least once a week so they you will get used to being around the others. If you believe you’re not flexible enough, you can use bricks to support you when it’s necessary (which is most of the time for me). So the only thing that you need to bring to class is yourself.

The only downside to the class is the time. The class starts at 8 – 9:30 am. The time can be a hit or miss, mostly a miss if you are a night owl. If you are willing to survive off of less hours of sleep or even change your sleep schedule that semester, then it isn’t be that much of an issue to you. If you live on campus, you can surely survive. Off campus, on the other hand, could be a bit more complicated. If you think staying awake during the class will be a problem, trust me it’s not and at the end of the class it’s often encouraged to go to sleep.

There are a lot more upsides to this class then there are downsides (unless you’re a morning person then this is your dream class). If you are truly interested in yoga, changing parts of your lifestyle, and your gpa then I would highly recommend this for you.

Just a small town girl, living in an aggressive double standard, minority fetching world.
Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.