This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

What are your majors? Why did you choose them?

Dance and psychology. Two of my main passions are the arts and helping others. Dance is my favorite art form and since I can’t major in community service, I decided psychology was a great basis for helping others through non-profits.

What do you hope to do?

I plan to pursue a graduate degree in Macro Social Work and become a leader in Non-Profit Management.

Where did you study abroad?

Auckland, New Zealand

Summed up into a few sentences or experiences, what were the best parts of your study abroad?

Making friends with such a diverse group of people was probably the highlight of my trip. I now have friends on almost every continent, and they opened my eyes to new perspectives. I also loved the adventures in New Zealand including bungee jumping, blackwater rafting, and many road trips. Every part of New Zealand is full of amazing landscapes.

How has it been transitioning back to UNCG?

At first, I felt like a foreigner all over again. I had to readjust from New Zealand slang words, transportation forms, and general cultural differences. I am very happy to be back home, but look forward to revisiting NZ soon.

Have you noticed a change from before you were abroad to how you are now?

I think New Zealand gave me some new perspectives. Kiwis (New Zealanders) have unique perspectives on politics, hot topics, and political correctness. It was refreshing to find out more about their ideologies and positions.

Where else would you like to go? Why?

I love to travel so I have a very long list of places I’d like to go. I’ve been to several European Countries, but I would like to go to some of the ones where my international friends live. I also love anywhere with tropical beaches. My main goal is to explore some of each continent.

Do you have any advice for anyone traveling abroad?

I would say my main difficulty in studying abroad was the constant “figuring it out”. Your first couple of months are filled with figuring out transportation, basic needs, academics, friends, and cultural barriers. My advice would be to stick through it, because it’s an amazing accomplishment to have completely “figured out” your new home. The figuring out is 110% worth it in the end.

I am a student at UNC-Greensboro and am double majoring in International and Global Studies and Peace and Conflict Studies with minors in Dance and Spanish. I have always had a passion for writing, and love being involved on campus. I recently studied abroad in Cape Town, South Africa and hope to go back some day.
I am currently a student at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. I am double-majoring in Business Administration with a concentration in Human Resources and Women's and Gender Studies. I love my university and the diversity on campus is important to me.