The Key to the New You for the New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Every year around late December (or any time for that matter), people set goals for the new year. These goals stretch from something simple to life changing projects that’ll take more than a year’s worth of time. Then suddenly two days to two weeks into the new year, the plans get dropped and with a suggestion that they’ll try again next year. While it is easy for some people to make a plan and stick to it, others require consistent rules to keep themselves on the right track.

My suggestion to those who need to make a specific routine is to follow the SMART Goals system. It not only works for students who are trying to get their grades back it, but it can work for even the most challenging ideas (if there are realistic).

S: Specific. Stating that you will work out more, isn’t specific enough to help you achieve your goals. Start with your end goal, being healthy for example, before trying to act out on your goals.

M: Measurable. How many times a day, week, or month will you be doing this? It’s best not to start out by going every day, it actually back fires and you get burn out. Start slowly and add on when you feel it is getting to boring and before you know it, you will ‘need’ to go to the gym every day.

A: Attainable.  Trying to cook heatlhy meals every day isn’t always attainable if you have a job and school to attend. But you can still make a plan that will be easier on you and your time. Always have back up plans that will not interfere with your current lifestyle.

R: Realistic. Dropping 50 pounds in a week is not realistic at all, unless you have surgery. Plan out how you can lose a normal amount of weight in a week before jumping into an unrealistic mindset.

T: Time management. How long will you be working out when you do? It would be more effective in the end to start small and as your body adjusts, make it harder. What is the end goal and how long will it take to complete it? Be sure to have an attainable and realistic time.

Here’s an example of my goals for this year:

I want to draw more.

Although I have been drawing more, I could be doing simple drawings that will not help me improve in the end.

A smarter goal is:

I want to practice drawing for at least 6 hours a week every week until November 3rd 2017.

This is specific for me because it forces me into a time crunch. Measureable because it’s not flexible enoughfor me to abuse. Realistic and attainable because I have done this before, and can continue to do so. Time based because it keeps be driven until the final day.

This best thing about my goal is that I started this on January 5th 2017, I didn’t start it on new year’s because I didn’t want to deal with the pressure to complete with the holiday. So if you want to go to the gym more, start when you’re ready. If you are ready today, then go for it. If you won’t be ready until March 1st then that’s fine too. Just don’t hold out on what you can achieve by relying on a holiday.

Just a small town girl, living in an aggressive double standard, minority fetching world.