How To Ace Being A Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Being a transfer is what you make it. Being a transfer myself, this is not what I’ve often heard or even felt. When you transfer, it’s often considered harder to make friends and really feel integrated. This is not to be said for everyone. For our social butterflies; this is not for you.

Kidding! There’s always something to learn.

Here are ways to make the best out of being a first year transfer:

• Stay organized and go to class!  

This may seem like a no-brainer but how are you supposed to feel comfortable or at home in a place you’re not trying to get accustomed to? Also, where are the majority of people you’re going to meet going to be at? In class!

• Get involved

This could mean joining a club of your choosing or even just participating more inside the classroom. Make your mark!

• Look approachable

Now for those of us with rbf– we have to make an effort to reach this because no matter how approachable we are, our face says otherwise. So try walking to class with one headphone in instead of two– don’t block out the world completely. Keep your head up & give a little smile to those who pass by or look at you.

• Accept invitations!

This could be to an event on campus, to a party, to the store or even just to the cafe. Unless you’re genuinely not comfortable or the situation seems unsafe, accepting invitations to do things with someone is the easiest way to really get to know people. There’s so many ways for us to dive in and so many things to take advantage of on every college campus, so try not to retract into your shell too much. New places and new faces should be embraced but hesitation is understood, just don’t hold your toe over the water for too long. Dive in when you’re ready. Good luck!