Five Inexpensive Gift Ideas for the Student on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

College is a tough time for the wallets of many. Between paying for school, groceries, social events, and other costly needs such as a Netflix and partying, you might find yourself in a bit of a pickle when it comes to splurging on others. So here are some tips for gifts on a budget!

1. Hit up your local thrift store – If you’re looking for a unique (and cheap) gift for the fashionista in your life, this is the perfect place to look! Look for that one item you know they would love. Department stores can be expensive so with all the money you’re saving by thrifting you can even treat yourself to a little something.

2.  Decorate a Coffee Mug or Wine Glass- We all know someone who survives off of coffee or wine, maybe both. This idea is perfect if you’re looking for something creative and meaningful. Craft stores like Michael’s or Hobby Lobby sell cheap mugs and other items that you will need to create a personalized gift without breaking the bank. If you’re feeling artsy, or if you and your friend have a shared saying this idea is perfect and inexpensive. Get a mug, a porcelain pen and get creative!

3.  A Candle- Candles are really simple but they can provide important things such as relaxation. Everyone in college needs that. They’re relatively inexpensive and can even be homemade if you’re crafty enough. Although the cost of supplies can add up, Pinterest is a great place to look for inexpensive ways to create them!

4.  DIY Spa Night- Let’s be honest, toiletries and beauty supplies can add up and become relatively expensive. If you have someone in your life who loves and appreciates a much needed bubble bath or loves trying new products, create a nice set of things so they can enjoy a nice spa day at home. Lots of drug stores carry inexpensive face masks, hair treatments, and nail polish for around $1-$5. Simple ingredients such as sugar or sea salt, olive or coconut oil are good for creating sugar scrubs, throw in an essential oil such as peppermint or lavender to give it a nice scent. You can even make a nice homemade set of bath bombs if you’re wallet isn’t quite ready for a shopping spree at Lush.

5.  Personalized Playlist- For the best friend who enjoys loud music on a car ride or movie night. Make a playlist of songs personal to you and your best friend or even your significant other and enjoy dance sessions or romantic evenings. If they’re a movie buff, explore their favorite genre and find some things they love or new things they might like. If you’re looking for a physical gift to give, burn a CD or make a set of DVD’s. They’re getting a bit outdated so be sure that they have something they can play it on!