Current Events: What in the World is Going On?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

It’s been a hectic week in the world, but when isn’t it? With the bombings in Syria, the Facebook scandal, and the on-going investigation by Mueller, there’s a lot to miss in the news. Here are a few stories to make it seem like you know what’s going on, and even ways to help in situations that need it.

Khloe Kardashian had her baby!

It’s been a whirl-wind for the Kardashian family these past few weeks. First videos were leaked of Tristan Thompson allegedly cheating on Khloe, even going back to October. And on April 12th, Khloe gave birth to a healthy baby girl. She announced that they named her True Thompson, which people on the internet found ironic and definitely voiced their opinions about it. But Kris Jenner quickly put those jokes to rest, revealing that both her father and grandfather had the name True, and it seems that Khloe is doing well and celebrating her little baby. (Also this thread is full of hilarious comments on Tristan’s instagram. Check it out if you need a bit of entertainment.)

Tornado in Greensboro

On April 15th, a tornado touched down in Greensboro, NC, causing more damage than people in the city realized. Homes were damaged, schools have shut down due to damage, many people are without power and running water, and unfortunately there was one casualty. Tornados aren’t new to North Carolina, but the damage they cause is devastating. If you are looking to help, here are ways you can donate your time, money, or other resources: The Salvation Army, United Way of Greensboro, Red Cross, and The Community Foundation are some reliable sources that are taking different kinds of donations.

Barbara Bush

Barbara Bush, First Lady to the 41st President George H.W. Bush and mother to the 43rd President George Bush, has died at the age of 92. It was announced a few days prior that she had stopped medical treatment and was instead seeking comfort care. Barbara Bush was favored by most, especially in the Republican party, and was seen as a grandmotherly figure for all. She is known for her advocacy to promote and improve literacy as First Lady and beyond her time in the White House. She is survived by her husband George H.W. Bush, and children; George W. Bush, Jeb Bush, Dorothy Bush Koch, Neil Bush, and Marvin Bush.

Starbucks is Closing

You read that right…well kind of. Starbucks has announced that it is closing 8,000 stores for racial-bias training. This comes after a video was posted of two African-American men being arrested for sitting in the Starbucks. Many people have been offended by this incident, even patrons in the store are seen questioning and arguing with the police about wrongfully arresting these men. An employee at the chain cafe called the police after the men sat down after not ordering anything. Starbucks has apologized for this incident and is hoping racial-bias training will prevent this from happening again.

So that’s it for this report, but always keep reading what’s out there!

I am a student at UNC-Greensboro and am double majoring in International and Global Studies and Peace and Conflict Studies with minors in Dance and Spanish. I have always had a passion for writing, and love being involved on campus. I recently studied abroad in Cape Town, South Africa and hope to go back some day.
Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.