5 Ways to Stay Healthy During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

In college it can definitely be difficult to stay healthy and fit during the year, but there is this time  that happens at the end of each semester and it drives our eating, exercising and botched sleeping habits out of the window…finals! There is this palpable stress hanging in the air, but never fear with the right nutrition and proper rest there is nothing stopping you from feeling your best during this week of torture. Here are 5 ways to stay healthy during finals.

1. Leave TacoHut in the dust

It’s proven that high fat and sugary foods that are also low in complex carbs are guaranteed to put you on the train to snooze town while you should be in the library preparing for that exam that you’ve put off studying for. Instead hit up the grocery store before it’s crunch time and stock up on fruits, veggies and whole wheat anything. These foods will hold you for longer than anything from the dollar menu of any  on campus restaurant. The cafeteria is also a good place to avoid putting non-energizing food in your body.

2. Get Enough Sleep

We’ve all heard this fact; the average functioning adult needs at least 8 hours of sleep, but considering the amount of stress we’re under it’s super easy to pull all-nighters on the silent floors of the library, but cutting out your sleep will decrease the amount of information you remember.

3.Take advantage of the Rec Center

Exercising is not only good for your body, it’s good for your mind. The release of endorphins from in exercising gives you a “happy high” and kills a lot of stress that you may feel when studying for your exam. Taking advantage of the fun group fitness classes are a great option if the gym wasn’t your spot during the year; yoga is a great stress reliever and Zumba with friends is a great way to just let go during a break from the books.

4. Hydration, Hydration, Hydration

I know you’re may be tempted to take a trip to the Starbucks in the EUC and down a Venti double shot latte or shoot just empty the entire coffee pot into your bloodstream trying to gain all the energy you can, but you’ll be better off in the long run just drinking water. Never forget all of the wonderful benefits of water:  glowing skin, healthier hair, and long nails. 8 glasses a day keep the stress pimples away.

5. When in doubt, talk it out

All of us come under a lot more stress than we are ready for when it come down to finals, but what a lot of people don’t realize is that our friends are here for us to listen to when we are feeling overwhelmed. They are here to for us to have a shoulder to lean on and help us get distracted for a little while. Talking about your stress to your friends will leave you feeling lighter and you’ll have a clearer head going into your exams; plus you all will be much closer after you go through this ordeal together.

Meet our writer Courtney D. Jones! Courtney is a junior at Winona State University majoring in Mass Communications- Advertising. She is consistently busy juggling school, working two jobs, and on the recruitment committee for Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, so coffee is a necessity. But not just any coffee, it must be Starbucks Blonde Roast, with a dash of peppermint mocha creamer and a fourth of a packet of sugar. She has a die-hard love for all things beauty and fashion, and dreams of owning everything on her Pinterest boards one day. With her bright and bubbly personality, she loves meeting new people and sharing a good laugh. As a Chicago native, her happy place consists of drinking a cold microbrew with her favorite Giordano’s deep-dish pizza while watching her beloved Bears team.
Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.