george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Not Let Social Media Drain You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

Social Media can be tremendously draining, especially if you utilize social media for school, work, and your personal life. I came up with five simple tips that I’ve applied to my life to help me overcome being drained by social media.

1. Don’t let social media be the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning.

I’ve found that starting my day without tapping Instagram or snapchat helps me stay more focused throughout the day. Taking control of your life and not allowing social media to control you. As soon as you wake up try something different, exercise your mind by reading, working out or calling someone to give them a wakeup call.

2. Separate personal and work social media accounts.

Most of us have social media that we manage for work and personal accounts and this can be so tiring. Sometimes you want to take break from social media on personal and work accounts and it seems like you can’t get a break from it. If you want to still be active on personal and work accounts while taking a break, you can automate your posts using Hootsuite or Planoloy. This will help you to keep from scrolling while the app automatically posts to your account. This can save you major time and help to keep you from being distracted.

3. Follow accounts that are uplifting.

I think as millennials we get wrapped up in trying to keep up with other people’s lifestyles but fail to understand that people post their highlight reels. Everything that is posted is not real and you shouldn’t compare yourself to people you truly don’t know. Follow people that are highly motivated and post quotes and funny memes, it’ll lighten up your timeline.  

4. Set LIMITS. Discipline yourself with Social Media Time.

Give yourself a window and allow yourself to spend only that time on social media. Spending too much time on social media results in you overthinking, and being upset afterwards when you could’ve accomplished something or been more productive.

5. Go on a social media fast.

It’s okay to go a week, or maybe two without social media. Social media is a new tool that most of our parents didn’t have and use. It complicates things when we use it too much, and don’t use it correctly. Take some time off and read a book, go glamping, get to know a friend better. Live in the now and don’t get so caught up in the realm of social media.

Hannah Trudeau is a co-correspondent for Her Campus at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is an International Business and Information Systems/ Supply Chain Management double major and is minoring in French. She would love to travel the world one day for work as she loves to learn about different countries and cultures. In her free time, Hannah enjoys reading and catching up with friends.