lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Songs to Set the Mood This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

“If music be the food of love, then play on”. These are the wise words of the one and only William Shakespeare. As I am sure you know by now, music has otherworldly capabilities. It’s most important ability, however, is the ability to capture a vibe and emotions, setting the mood of any situation. Although Valentine’s Day comes once a year, it doesn’t necessarily mean we are all in the love-making mood that everyone expects of us on Valentine’s Day. If this is the case for you, look no further my friend. Before you, I have carefully crafted an intimate, sensual and inspiring playlist, designed solely for the purpose of creating that special vibe, on this special day, with that special someone.

1. “Get You” by Daniel Caesar

This song does nothing aside from what it was created to do: tell your S.O. how much you appreciate them. If that doesn’t set a spark, I don’t know what will.

2. “Summer in November” by SiR

If you’ve been cold this winter and are seeking the comforting warmth of an S.O., check out the song “Summer in November” by SiR. This tune expresses a sensual longing in both the lyrics and the somber and ghostly vocals. SiR sings of a love so real and genuine that it is Summer In November saying:  “Winter couldn’t tame your heart/You’re Summer in November.”

3. “Redbone” by Childish Gambino

This song is heartbreaking, pulling at my heartstrings in a way I rarely feel. A special piece of music, Gambino sings with the voice of one but tells the story of millions. However, this entrancing ballad does not abandon the sensual and sultry tone of any of the other songs on this list. It is a captivating performance certain to electrify the air when alone with your S.O.

4. “Something About Us” by Daft Punk

Traditionally speaking, electronic music does not dare enter the waters of R&B, for the fear that it won’t translate well – and it usually doesn’t. I have found an exception. Daft Punk’s “Something About Us” exceeds the limitations of tradition, for it is an electronic and robotic sounding ballad that touches the soul.  I kid you not, time stops when you listen to this song. Don’t believe me? Listen to it.

5. “Summer Breeze” By the Isley Brothers.

This is one of my personal favorite songs of all time. It is colorful and majestic, commanding and soulful, overflowing with raw emotion. The silky smooth vocals are a pleasure to the ear. I dare say this is the most passionate and truly amazing song on this list. Use this song if you please, but I advise you to be careful how you use it…that’s all Imma say ‘bout that.

Trent Ryden Junior Communication Studies Major