diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Cheap Ways to Spice up Your Bedroom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCG chapter.

The way your room looks reflects the type of person you are or how you want others to view you. These three tips are super simple and cheap alternatives that will make your room stand out from your peers. This was made for on and off campus students, yet this can go for anyone.

1. Moving your items around (FREE!)

This is my favorite method yet it takes forever to do. However, the final process is always worth it. If your room is smaller, you will have to do more thinking outside of the box. If you have a roommate, make sure it won’t disturb them or ask them to join you so that the room would look more presentable!

This point of view was very dull for me and didn’t give me enough space for the stuff I had brought. As time went on, I’ve changed where my bed has been placed. It has been twisted and placed in any corner that it can fit. If your room is too small to move your bed and furniture, my two other suggestions would be best for you.

2. Lights (up to 5 dollars)

For decorating (and my fear of the dark), lights are my best friend. They are simple, cute, and show you where you’re at. I would suggest Christmas lights in only one color. Too many colors are distracting and sometimes become an eye sore if they don’t have something to compliment them. You should pick your favorite color or a color that looks well with your furniture. There are millions of lights and designs, so the possibilities are endless. The lights I am using in my pictures are from Amazon. I didn’t know if my apartment had a lot of outlets, so I decided to get lights that had their own power source. I had 3 colors: blue for my main room, purple for the bathroom, and white for the closet. Sadly, the bedroom lights are dead and the bathroom lights are fading. If you take care of these lights they last for a while, my white lights have lasted for 6 months. You can also bring attention to a specific space in your room if you don’t need your lights for sleeping in the dark.

3. Art pieces (prices vary)

A lot of people decorate their room with posters or pictures of family. If posters aren’t appealing to you or you want to keep family pictures in your photo book then art paintings would be the way to go. They are a great conversation starter and could really tie the room together if paired well. If you are an artist then this should be easy for you. If you are not a creative individual, I would suggest collage art. Find magazines or newspapers and stick them to computer paper. This can be for inspiration or for aesthetics. This method would be a lot more inexpensive than purchasing a poster, only to have it tear or lose its appeal as time goes on. I really loved one of my pictures but now realize that it was way too expensive and I could’ve created something I would be more proud of!

Bedrooms have a lot of personalities based off the things that are in them. These three suggestions cause a dramatic effect with little effort. If these suggestions are not the way you would decorate a room, then please be sure to mention other suggestions in the comment section!

Just a small town girl, living in an aggressive double standard, minority fetching world.