What NOT to do on an Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

It’s that time of year again. The semester has begun to fly by, and it may appear as if everyone has a job or internship lined up for the summer. For those about to graduate, an interview or call back for a job would be a relieving sign.

College-aged students are often faced with the daunting task of going through the interview process.  Formal interviews can be one of the most frightening tasks for an inexperienced young adult heading into “the real world.”  But if you follow these steps you can avoid some common pitfalls and land that position you’ve been aiming for!

When it comes to interviews, clothing matters.  You are what you wear.  Avoid dressing too casually or inappropriately.  Dressing in business formal attire is a must.  A safe choice for men would be a suit and tie or a dress shirt with slacks.  For women a conservative dress or tailored pants and blouse would be acceptable.  As a result, the interviewer will view you as a respectable candidate.  How you present yourself is a key part of whether one will be called back for a second interview or denied.  How you present yourself is crucial.  Try to lay your outfit out the night before to avoid getting dressed in a rush and looking haphazard or sloppy.

Side note: An absolute no-no is gum chewing! It is totally unprofessional and rude. You’ll be doing a significant amount of talking as it is, you don’t want to be chewing while you do it, so save the gum for after you’re done with the meeting.

First impressions are key.  You want to present your best self when applying for a job or vying for college admission.  For example, being on time cannot be stressed enough! However, you don’t want to show up too early, so you are loitering and waiting around for your interview to begin.  You may appear over eager or like you had nothing else to do.   Arrive fifteen minutes early at most, but be sure to not cut it too close because being late leaves a horrible first impression. However, if you arrive too early, you may linger in the office awkwardly.  Your nerves could also take over and psych you out as you wait. Employers want to hire someone they can count on and universities want to enroll mature, responsible students; being late will foil that for you.

Next, make sure you greet your interviewer with a strong handshake.  Find a happy medium between the “limp fish” and the “bone crushing death grip”.  Be friendly, yet confident. Do not overwhelm the person your meeting with heavy perfume or overdone makeup. When in doubt of whether to flaunt the bold, red lip, it is best to keep it classy and simple.

Research the position you are applying for, or the school you are inquiring to attend before coming to the interview.  This way, you will be fully prepared if the interviewer asks you specific questions.  You can voice what attracted you to the job or university and why you can envision yourself there.  Being knowledgeable and self-assured will set you apart from other competitors.  Often the person conducting the interview will sum up by asking if you have any further questions yourself so use this as an opportunity to prove that you did your homework.

Avoid falling into traps: Common questions interviewers may pursue include: what are your strengths and what is your greatest weakness?  First of all, be prepared to share and be proud of your strengths.  Make sure they are work or school related.  Think of how you would best describe yourself and how others who admire you would present you.  You could also write these adjectives down, that way you will not hesitate on which words to use and they will come out eloquently.  

The question regarding your weakness possesses more uncertainty for people answering spontaneously.  This is tricky; think this through ahead of time.  Don’t be brutally honest.  Instead, mention a “flaw” that can be viewed as a positive trait.  Such as, if you’re a perfectionist, say you will not rest until the task at hand is done to the fullest.  Also when asking about your previous experiences, take responsibility for your actions.  Do not name drop and definitely do not bad mouth your previous employer or institution; it will make you look bitter or immature.  Employers want to hire someone positive, that others will want to be around and interact with.

While it is important to highlight your skills, do not oversell yourself! Answer questions in a timely manner, but don’t be long winded. There is a fine line between being proud of your skills and bragging, so be mindful of how you come across. However, bring a portfolio displaying examples of your past experience or work is a feature that may set you apart from other applicants.

Lastly, do not forget your manners. Marc Dorio, author of The Complete Idiot’s Guide to the Perfect Job Interview, advises interested applicants to write a sincere thank you note after the meeting. However, your note should go above and beyond by noting topics you discussed during your session. You could also utilize this message to add in a point you forgot to include in your interview. Most importantly, remember to take the few minutes out of your day to send an old-fashioned hand written letter rather than the all too tempting email thank you. Trust me, it will be appreciated and make you memorable.

While the interviewer has the power of making the ultimate decision of whether or not to hire you or admit you to his or her school, the interviewee is capable of directing the course of the interview.  Throughout your life, you will most likely be put into several interview scenarios, so it is best that you learn to master this life skill sooner rather than later.  It is beneficial to take a speech class, while you are in school and practice your overall presentation.  Your attitude and the answers you provide will impact the overall success of your meeting.  Now get out there and good luck!

References:
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Perfect-Interview-Edition/dp/1592578276

http://www.dorioconsulting.com/

Sophomore, PR major at UNC