Holiday Hookups: Tips for a Sticky Situation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Can you think of one girl who doesn’t love the holidays, and who doesn’t love hooking up? The two make quite the lethal combination. Whether you’re going home for Christmas or away on vacation, here are a few tips to heat up your holiday love sesh and make it one to remember, not regret. Now, grab some hot chocolate, put away your Chemistry textbook and fast forward to Winter Break:

What if I am exclusively hooking up with someone at school?
So, you’re part of that couple who is not actually a couple. From Thursday to Saturday night, you essentially have a boyfriend but what happens when you both go home? If you live in the same town, things will likely continue as usual. However, for those of you who are headed in a different direction than your non-boyfriend, first ask yourself if this faux relationship is one you want to maintain during the spring semester. If not, Christmas break will be the perfect transition to move on to something new. If you do want to continue things with him, you should ask your significant other what the deal is (cue awkward silence). Depending on how serious you two are, you may want to keep it safe and refrain from hooking up with anyone else over the break. Hot cocoa for one? Yes, please.

I can’t stop thinking about my ex.
Everything may look better in the glow of Christmas lights, sound  better with Christmas music playing in the background or taste better when cooked with Christmas love. Ex-boyfriends even seem to look cuter, which can be tough. Christmas usually brings back great memories, and when those involve an ex, it is hard not to venture back into that territory. Being home will likely make you miss your ex and the things you would do together, especially if this is a fresh break up. However, you need to think about the repercussions of this once you are back at school. If you just want that comfortable, fun hook-up, but plan on going back to doing your own thing once you are back at school, don’t settle into your old ways. Try and recall why it was that you two broke up. There is a reason you are not dating; channel these thoughts and stay away from the physical stuff.

If you still want to see your ex, but are worried about the physical temptation being too strong, grab coffee or hang out in a group to avoid a sticky situation. This is easier said than done, but you don’t want to get back to school and get the “Soooo what are we now?” text.

So I met this guy in [insert holiday vacation destination here]…

If neither of the two aforementioned situations applies to you and you find yourself on a Caribbean beach or in a hot tub at a Colorado ski resort with a cute guy, getchusum (translation: get you some). If you are into the exciting fling, then this is ideal for you. What better way to spice up a vacation than by partaking in some post-family-activity activities? Whether you decide to have sex or not, have fun with this. This is one guy that you can confidently say has not hooked up with your roommate, best friend or sorority sister, which is always a plus (at schools like Carolina, this is a notable feat). Just remember to be smart. You have to realize that you literally know nothing about this person except what they tell you. We’re not trying to recreate a scene from Taken or something. Be confident and have fun with it!

There’s nothing like a New Year’s Eve kiss
MYTH! New Year’s Eve is a great holiday, but let’s be real: how many New Year’s have disappointed you? While New Year’s Eve kisses are are exhilarating and sometimes spontaneous, but don’t put all your eggs in the “I’m going to have the best kiss of my life on New Year’s” basket. You don’t have to have a New Year’s hookup to be excited about ringing in 2012. If you’re alone when the ball drops, take a deep breath and think about all the great things that happened in the past year and all the great things to come in the next year. Cheesy? Yes. But will it make you feel better about being alone? Hopefully a little.

For those of you who will welcome 2012 with a kiss, make it a good one.

If none of these circumstances pertain to your life, put on the “All I Want for Christmas” station on Pandora, buy yourself a large coffee, take out that Chemistry book (for you procrastinators, put on ABC’s The 25 Days of Christmas) and take comfort in the fact that in a matter of exams, you will have no worries except what to wear to that New Year’s Eve party.

Sources:
Santa Claus (photo): http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qCfXnBMknJE/TQC7s45MBJI/AAAAAAAABCY/d41Hy5zRVVk/s1600/Christmas-couple-photo-wallpaper.png
Mistletoe (photo): http://express.howstuffworks.com/gif/ask-mb-mistletoe.jpg

Sophomore, PR major at UNC