Dress Your Lips for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

If you’re searching for a way to add a little more sparkle and cheer to your holiday season, look no further than your lips. The holidays are meant to be merry and joyful, but keeping up a decorative appearance can seem daunting when faced with a busy agenda of gatherings, family obligations and work or school deadlines. Read on for a few tried and trusted products to help you quickly and effortlessly dress your lips for the holidays.

Color-Shy?
Lip color comes in all forms so there’s something for everyone, even the color-wary. Start with L’Oreal Paris Colour Caresse by Colour Riche Lip Color. It’s similar to a lip balm with light coverage and a subtle, glossy finish, but still gives you that desired pop of color. The moisturizing formula is an added bonus to help you fight the effects of harsh and drying winter weather. You can find it at most drug stores or online at lorealparisusa.com for $9.99. The Clinique Almost Lipstick line is another light and moisturizing lip color, coming in a range of colors to fit your skin tone and mood. You can find it at most department stores or online at clinique.com for $15 a tube. The subtle color makes it perfect for everyday wear so you’re sure to get your money’s worth.

A little more adventurous?
If you’re looking for a more noticeable color with longer staying power, try Estee Lauder Pure Color Vivid Shine Lipstick. It has a thicker consistency for high definition color and subtle sparkles for a classy shine. This lip color is a little more expensive at $25 a stick, but the high quality makes it worth the price. You can find it at most department stores or online at esteelauder.com. Duwop Cosmetics Private Lipstick collection offers the same perks as the Estee Lauder’s Pure Color, but at a slightly lower cost. At $22 a tube you are guaranteed a high pigment lip color that goes on effortlessly. This is the ultimate pick for those looking for bright yet silky smooth color. Find it online at shop.duwop.com.  

Ready for the runway?
For color that lasts all day long (and one that you might have to literally scrub to remove), try Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick. It has an airy liquid formula but an extremely high pigment for unbelievably intense color.  Try the Aria-magenta plum shade for a seasonal alternative to red. You can find it online at sephora.com for $22 a tube. Aveda Nourish-Mint Smoothing Lip Color also provides a hefty dose of hi-def color. The unique wild fuchsia and poppy shades offer a new spin on traditional holiday (and Granny) red so you can be bold, bright and youthful. Find it online at aveda.com or in Aveda stores for $16 a tube.

Melissa Paniagua is a senior journalism major at The University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill, specializing in public relations. She is currently a fashion market intern at ELLE Magazine. On campus, Melissa acts as the Her Campus president as well as the vice president of the Carolina Association of Future Magazine Editors, UNC’s Ed2010 chapter. In the past, she has been an intern for Southern Weddings Magazine and a contributing writer for Her Campus. Melissa has an appreciation for all things innovative, artful and well designed and hopes to work in marketing for a women’s lifestyle magazine in the future!