Campus Celebrity: Carly York ‘16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

From cheering at sporting events to walking around campus with a smile plastered on her face, Carly York is a friendly face you have most likely seen around the quad! Carly is going into her third year as a UNC Cheerleader, and she is always seen encouraging the athletes and pumping up the crowd. This earned Carly this week’s Campus Celebrity title! Carly not only serves an important role in UNC athletics, but also donates her time to philanthropy, other clubs on campus, a part-time job, and bonding with her fellow Tar Heels. The UNC Cheerleaders are an instrumental part of the spirit and energy at all of the sporting events, and you definitely can’t miss them with their impressive tumbling and stunts!

Her Campus: As a UNC Cheerleader, do you feel like you make a significant contribution to the athletic teams’ success?

Carly York: I like to think that we all do, but I also like to think all of the athletes are my best friends, so…just kidding. I really do feel like the cheerleaders contribute towards the energy in the stadium and help encourage high energy levels in the crowd, but I am not sure how significant the impact really is. Most of it depends on the athletes, but we definitely have fun trying to contribute towards each win!

HC: Do you believe there are any false perceptions about cheerleaders?

CY: I think the most common stereotype is that cheerleaders are unintelligent, but we all had to get in to UNC based on academic merit. We deserve to be here as much as anyone else! Also, everyone always thinks we are really loud all the time…oh wait, that’s true…don’t put that. *Laughs* Last one! Everyone thinks we are always concerned about how we look, but most of us wear gym clothes to class every day. Those early morning classes, the struggle.

HC: What is your favorite part of being a UNC Cheerleader?

CY: Above all else, I really love the cheer community. We are all great friends, and we spend time together outside of practice all the time! Not only do I love that we encourage each other, but I also enjoy encouraging the other athletes. You would think I would be tired of it after 16 years, but I really do love it. Oh yeah, and it doesn’t hurt that I get to be with my best friend and roommate on the field now too!

HC: Okay, last question! Do you consider cheerleading to be a sport?

CY: I don’t want to be controversial or anything, but I really think cheerleading is a sport, especially competitive cheerleading. Competitive cheerleading is actually extremely physically demanding. We train, practice just as much as other athletes, and the sport really requires a certain skill set and athleticism. So, although some basic cheering may not be seen as a sport, I really think competitive cheerleading fits the description of a sport.

UNC Cheerleaders can be spotted at almost every UNC athletic event, so come out and support Carly and the team!

Lily Broming

Chapel Hill

Lily Broming is currently a junior at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, majoring in Economics and minoring in both Music and Social and Economic Justice. Though she is an economics student, she has always had a passion for writing and decided to dip her feet in the water by joining the UNC HC team in Spring 2014. Lily interned with Schwalb Public Relations and realized that writing might be something worth pursuing, so HC is the perfect opportunity to blend her passion for writing and her love of UNC. She has grown up with Mickey Mouse just a car ride away, so there is no surprise that she is absolutely obsessed with all things Disney. Lily loves singing in the shower (and anywhere else really), hair bows, spontaneous adventures, sweets galore, and anything music-related.