Campus Celebrity: Alyssa Bailey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Nothing holds back Campus Celebrity Alyssa Bailey, a junior journalism and French double major. After developing a passion for journalism in high school, she dove right in, landing her first internship at Girls’ Life magazine in Baltimore the summer after her senior year in high school. From there, she worked her way up to her most recent internship this past summer at Cosmopolitan magazine, garnering a number of other accomplishments along the way. This semester, she is studying abroad in Paris, honing her French skills and enjoying European fashion. When she isn’t busy contributing to on-campus publications and clubs like the Daily Tar Heel and CAFME or doing internship work, Alyssa loves jogging to clear her mind and baking cupcakes for her friends. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal!

What first sparked your interest for journalism and when did you know you wanted to work in the magazine world?

I remember a long time ago I went with my parents to the movie theater to see The Devil Wears Prada. And I thought, ‘That’ll never be me. Everyone wants that, and in an industry so cutthroat, let’s be realistic, few could ever make the cut.’

I really dismissed magazine journalism at first because of that; but then I enrolled in an introductory journalism class my sophomore year of high school, and I found something greater than the “odds”: passion. The subject really clicked with me. I fell in love with writing, editing, designing and managing publications. There was something so invigorating about working with others to produce products that really inform and make a difference in people’s lives. As a journalist, your words and work have such power. They comment on and frame society. To be a journalist is to have the platform where just a paragraph you write — whether it’s on the 2012 elections or how to flirt with a guy — can change the lives of millions.

What has been your favorite experience stemming from your on-campus involvement?

It is so hard to choose one because I’ve gained so much from everything I’ve been involved in. I would say in general the people are what make my on-campus involvement as rewarding as it is. I’ve met such talented, amazing people at The Daily Tar Heel, Scope and through CAFME. To be surrounded by such ambition is absolutely inspiring. I love the people I work with, and I love the mentality at Carolina — that we can do anything. I’m so excited to see where everyone ends up after graduation because I know it will be so far. I truly believe we can and will have an impact on the industry.

What do you think was most important in working your way up to becoming a Cosmopolitan intern?

I was incredibly lucky with Cosmo. I would attribute landing it to my experience — the three internships I had before — but it’s not at all that simple. Landing that internship was a two-step process: first, they had to see my resume and decide it didn’t belong in the trash can. New York internships are so competitive. I applied for over 20 last year, and I came to realize it wasn’t that I — or anyone else — wasn’t good enough. It’s just that there were so many talented people going after the same thing. I didn’t have any connections in Manhattan, and I was depending on what experience I had to keep me in the running.

The second step to landing it was an edit test. I followed up with Cosmo, not expecting to get any reply after submitting my application, and I found out they had sent an edit test to the wrong email address. Thank goodness I emailed them when I did!

What was your favorite thing about interning at Cosmopolitan?

It is so hard to choose! I absolutely loved the editors I worked with. The Cosmo newsroom is such a nurturing, fun environment, and I was floored by the kindness everyone showed. One of my favorite assignments at Cosmo was researching for the astrology section. I got to pull guys for their annual astro guide. Can you say dream job, researching Andrew Garfield’s, Zac Efron’s and other hotties’ latest accomplishments (and photos) for journalistic purposes? I never thought I’d have the chance.

What is the most challenging part of being an intern?

I definitely think those first couple weeks are always nerve-racking as an intern. You’re nervous; you want to impress your editor, and you’re just not sure of yourself and what you’re doing. What’s so important is that you realize it’s OK to feel that way, and it’s OK to ask questions. Just do your best and put a conscientious effort in. Your editor doesn’t expect you to be perfect.

You said that you “fell in love with New York” the summer you interned for Cosmopolitan; what is your favorite thing about the city and why?

I know it’s probably the least urban aspect of the city, but I love Central Park. I would go for jogs in the summer, and it would always just amaze me that nature and city could coexist so perfectly together.

New York is such a magic place. I love the subway, I love the park, I love watching the people, I love the simplicity of the street grid system, I love Columbus Circle, I love the Trader Joe’s on 72nd Street, I love the Upper West Side, I love how the city is such a hotbed of ambition and talent. It’s just those little things that culminate and gave me the sense that if there’s anywhere in the world I really belong, it’s right there.

What advice would you give to UNC collegiettes who aspire to work in big industries such as the fashion industry or big cities such as New York?

Never limit yourself, put your best in, pursue what you’re passionate about and don’t forget others along the way. We’re so lucky in America that we live in a society that preaches ‘follow your dreams. You can do anything!’ So I would hope anyone who’s found love in something isn’t afraid to go for it. I know it’s not as easy anymore to just take a chance, but we only have one life to live. Don’t spend it halfhearted, in a career where each night you come home, regretting what you could’ve and didn’t do.

Photo Captions:

Alyssa1: Photo courtesy Margot Pien (UNC junior)
Alyssa2: Alyssa Bailey and friends in front of the Lamp/Bear sculpture on Park Avenue and 52nd Street in Manhattan during the summer.
Alyssa3: Alyssa Bailey and CAFME members at Our State magazine in Greensboro, N.C., during a fall semester trip.

Brittany is a senior Visual Communications major in the UNC-CH School of Journalism and an Entrepreneurship minor, originally from Frederick, MD. This summer she interned in the fashion department of O, The Oprah Magazine in NYC. She has interned at the Durham Herald-Sun Newspaper and as a multi-media producer for the UNC Foreign Language Department and School of Education. Brittany enjoys snowboarding, rock climbing, water sports and all things to do with the beach. In the future she hopes to work in the magazine industry, travel and continue practicing yoga.