The Best DIY Dorm Room Decorations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

In college your dorm room, like your wardrobe, reflects your personality and style. Her Campus is here to get your year started right by helping you create a rocking dorm room that will impress your friends! As a junior looking to revamp my own dorm room, while living on a college student’s budget, I looked to Pinterest for cheap and easy crafts. I found four super cute ideas that are functional and fashionable!

Pictacular Fabric

Pictures are perfect for making your room feel like home. You can showcase your favorite memories on a decorative, fabric-covered wall hanging for a unique look. For this project you will need fabric, ribbon, gemstones, a corkboard and hot glue. Cover your cork board with fabric and secure it on the back with your hot glue. Lay the ribbon in a diamond pattern. Leave an extra half-inch overhang to glue it to the back of the board. Also add a dot of glue under the overlap of the ribbons for extra support. Then just glue down your gemstones and add pictures for the finished product!

Splash of Color

This next craft can give your dorm room that extra splash of color it needs and hold all of your bracelets. Get a bottle of acrylic paint in two colors that you want to bring out from your bedspread. Next find two different sized glass bottles that bracelets will fit over. Add a little water to the paint and put it in the two bottles. Shake it around until the entire inside of the bottle is covered; then let it sit to dry. Once dry you will have a stylish bracelet holder that accents your bedspread. This quick project can be displayed on your dresser, a bedside table or desk.

Glitter and Glam

What girl doesn’t like a little glitter? Spruce up your sink by adding a glamorous mason jar toothbrush holder. Apply modge podge to your mason jar and just add glitter! For extreme shine dip the modge podge covered jar in the glitter.  You can also get creative and tape off designs. I went with a striped design by tapping off where I wanted my stripes and applying the white glitter to the rest of the jar. After it dried I removed the tape and added hot pink glitter for a little extra sparkle. You can also make it a matching set by making a second jar and adding a lid with a hole in the center for a soap dispenser!

Framed

Dorm living inevitably means utilizing all possible space, including wall space. It is great for showing off one of a girl’s best accessories, her necklaces! All you have to do is screw hooks into the top of a frame to hang your necklaces from. You can choose a frame that is bright and bold to make your wall pop, great for holding small, simple necklaces. Or go with a subtle wood frame and let your bright and chunky necklaces make the statement. For even more storage put a few hooks on the sides of the frame to hang earrings. Now your jewelry can accessorize you and your room!

Sources:

Splash of Color;http://www.lachicadelacasadecaramelo.com/2013/04/jarrones-con-botellas-pintadas.html

http://easyhomestead.blogspot.com/2013/05/bottle-jewelry-organizing.html

Glitter and Glam; http://awesomecraftpins.com/2013/02/05/glittered-bottles-tape-off-where-you-want-glitter-add-mod-podge-glitter-peel-off-tape-and-let-dry/

Framed;http://tenthavenuesouth.blogspot.com/2012/01/jewelry-organization.html

Sarah Delk

Chapel Hill

Sarah Delk is a senior Journalism and Mass Communications – Editing and Graphic Design major at UNC-Chapel Hill. She is originally from Asheboro, NC, where she graduated from Southwestern Randolph High School. Sarah is a National Contributing Writer at HerCampus.com. Previously, she interned at the Carolina Union in the marketing and design department and at Progressive Business Media in the web and production departments. She loves creating illustrations, running the trails at her house and cheering on UNC-CH athletics. She is currently obsessed with teal nail polish and the book series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. Sarah hopes to travel the world someday, after she becomes a famous graphic designer and illustrator.
Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.