7 Ways to Re-Motivate Yourself this Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

After a long summer of no required readings, projects or exams, students all around UNC’s campus are facing the same problem that we are confronted with every August…how in the world will we manage to motivate ourselves to do schoolwork again?  After a month or so of battling with ourselves over whether or not to actually do our homework or to go out an have fun, because “YOLO”, we finally force ourselves to scrape through by doing the bare minimum.  The very select few of fortunate individuals even gain enough motivation by mid-October so that they can pass their midterms.

But no more of that!  As a fellow sufferer of this problem, I have created a list of ways to help you re-motivate yourself for this school year.  This list will get you on the fast track to focusing on your schoolwork and making those good grades that every parent wishes for, but have realistically given up all hope on.

1. Take a walk around UNC’s campus on a pretty day.

Spend 30 minutes or so walking around campus and enjoying how beautiful it is. Now make two lists: one list of the reasons why you chose to go to UNC/Why you fell in love with it; the other of where you want to be 6 months after graduation.  This will help you re-focus on your end goals and remember why you pull those all-nighters and subject yourself to the torture that is Organic Chemistry.

2. Take a class that you don’t need, but you really love.

One of the problems that a lot of students face is the monotony of taking a bunch of boring classes that they have no interest in.  So this semester, enroll yourself in a class that actually sparks your interest.  Taking a class “just for you” will re-ignite your passion for learning, and make you realize that learning should be, and can be, fun!

3. Schedule your day so that you’re only focusing on one thing at a time.

If you’re anything like me, your mind runs at a million miles per minute and you are constantly thinking of your never-ending to-do list.  Lets stop this cycle of driving yourself crazy, and start scheduling chunks of your day for certain tasks where you do nothing but focus on the scheduled item.  For example, schedule 2 hours a day for the gym, 2 hours for personal errands, 4 hours for homework, etc.  Doing this will allow you to be confident in the fact that you WILL have a chance to email your boss back, but she’ll just have to wait an hour because right now, it’s gym time!

4. Organize your planner.

The best way to make yourself realize that you need to get your stuff together ASAP is to put all of your assignments in your planner.  Go through all of your syllabi and write down every one of your assignments on your agenda.  When you’re done, take a look at it all…if that’s not enough to kick your butt back into school mode, nothing will.

5. Self Control.

No, not the trait (even though we can all probably work on that). I’m talking about the app.  Self Control is an app that you can download on your computer that allows you to temporarily block yourself from going on certain websites.  Say goodbye to getting distracted on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter, and say hello to knocking your work out efficiently!

6. Dress for success.

You know those morning when you wake up an hour earlier than you planned and squeeze in a run and a shower before you have to go to class?  Don’t you feel like hot stuff for being so productive and on top of your game?  Now imagine feeling like that every day.  Dressing like you rule the school will actually give you the confidence to do just that!  Giving yourself a small win in the morning, actually getting ready instead of throwing on dirty norts, will get your head in the school game!

7. Reward yourself!

Studying is hard work!  So who says that you can’t treat yourself after you accomplish your goal of getting everything done?  Giving yourself an end reward will motivate you to get your assignments done in a timely manner because you REALLY want that ice cream.

Rachael is a senior public relations major at UNC–Chapel Hill. In addition to being the president/co-campus correspondent of Her Campus Chapel Hill, Rachael is also a member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and a mentor for EASE, a study abroad organization. She is an enthusiast of Snapchat, strong coffee, and "hardcore parkour" goat videos.