5 Reasons We Can All Be Glad Bubba Watson Won the Masters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Chapel Hill chapter.

Masters weekend is often a weekend that all of us girls lose our dads, boyfriends, and guy friends to the TV Thursday through Sunday. It’s a weekend that our twitter feeds are filled with updates of the standings. We see words that we have never heard of and what is this fuss over an ugly green jacket? And even for those of us who do tune into the Masters every year and can hold their own in a golf conversation, it still can seem like we are no where near as emotionally invested in the winner as the fellas in our lives. But I am here to tell you that everyone, golf lover or not, has a reason to love Bubba Watson and be stoked that he is wearing the green jacket. Here’s why:

1. He is a family man.

Bubba Watson and his wife were both college athletes at The University of Georgia and have been together since. They couldn’t have children so they adopted the cutest little boy two years ago (the last time he won the Masters). After this win in 2012, he took a couple months off from golf because he wanted to be with his family and most importantly, their new addition. After his final putt that made him a Masters winner, he immediately went to his family with tears in his eyes. He also mentioned in his post-win press conference that he wished that his mom were there.

2. He is extremely humble.

Bubba has won two Masters by playing golf his way, like no one else. He has every reason to be boastful and arrogant but when he was asked if he felt like this win made him an elite player he just kind of chuckled and said, “No, no…again I just got lucky enough to have two green jackets.” Bubba is also an emotional guy, so when he cries after a win, you can see it in his face that he is overwhelmed with happiness, a look that not all golfers give.

3. He is an All-American guy.

I mean first of all his name is Bubba, how much more American can you get? He spoke in an interview about how overwhelming it was for “just a small town guy named Bubba” to win the Master’s twice. He comes from a very patriotic family since his father was a military man. It’s not often that we can relate to and identify with the people we see in the spotlight, but Bubba is an exception. Go Bubba, Go America.

4. He is hilarious.

Not only is Bubba a sensitive, Master’s winning, All-American family man; but he has a pretty good sense of humor too. Just watch this video with him and his buds. (He is the one in the overalls with no shirt, I’d say that is pretty All-American, too).

There is also a sequel…

5. This picture.

Simply put, he loves his kid and he loves his fans.

Oh and just because his son is so stinkin cute:

Megan McCluskey is a recent graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a B.A. with Distinction in Journalism and Mass Communication, and a second major in French. She has experience as a Campus Correspondent and Contributing Writer for Her Campus, a Public Relations Consultant for The V Foundation, an Editorial Assistant for TV Guide Magazine and Carolina Woman magazine, a Researcher for MTV, and a Reporter and Webmaster for the Daily Tar Heel. She is an obsessive New England Patriots and Carolina basketball fan, and loves spending time with her friends and family (including her dogs), going to the beach, traveling, reading, online shopping and eating bad Mexican food.