Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UM Features

Top Ten Things to Do With Your Tax Return

By Kristine Quint
March 2, 2013 - 8:10pm

Get a haircut at Boom Swagger. They give out mimosas! Buy a book. Remember reading for fun? Yeah, me neither. Buy your favorite movie Go skiing or snowboarding. If that’s too easy and you do it already, try the other. Road trip for the weekend with friends. Fernie, Jackson Hole, Bozeman, and Spokane are all within an easy day’s drive! Go out to a nice restaurant—Silk Road, Ciao Mambo, The Iron Horse, to name a few! Buy yourself the wine or beer that has tempted you the last five months every time you went to the grocery store. Oh, and that expensive pasta, too. And the cheap box of cake.  Buy the album that you listen to shamelessly for free on iTunes. Donate to a good cause. Why not. READ MORE
...

One Billion Rising on the Oval

By Anya Beaumont
February 22, 2013 - 1:12am

READ MORE

Winter BrewFest 2013

By Katie D. Warren
February 21, 2013 - 1:24pm

Beer. Inebriation. Music. Pizza. Always a recipe for a good time in Missoula. A selection of more than 30 beers kept hundreds of Missoulians warm Friday night at the third annual Winter BrewFest. The event at Caras Park was a huge success, with about a thousand people showing up to sample the beers, wines, and enjoy the live music. Beers were provided from breweries around Montana as well as from places such as Oregon and California. Energetic music by the Kevin Van Dort Band and Three Eared Dog, both Montana based provided the soundtrack for the evening. Hot food was provided by Mackenzie River Pizza and El Cazador. Despite the chilly winter evening, Missoulians kept warm thanks to their beers and the large heaters scattered throughout the massive tent...

New Semester Checklist

By Erin Hastey
February 9, 2013 - 8:03pm

By now, we’ve all made it back to Zoo Town after that near-eternal winter break, and we’ve finished the first two weeks of classes. We’ve (hopefully) gotten our schedules sorted out, and are buckling down to ensure we survive and thrive during the next thirteen weeks. According to Punxsutawney Phil, spring will be arriving early this year, and the Missoula weather as of late seems to agree. But before spring fever hits and wreaks havoc on your GPA, take some time to review this checklist and build up your academic immune system so that you can avoid the symptoms that fever brings with it.   READ MORE

Top Ten Activities to do over Winter Break

By Kristine Quint
December 10, 2012 - 1:03am

Winter break always comes at the perfect time, right after finals when you’re exhausted and ready to spend a full day (or three) in bed, see friends from home you haven’t talked to since summer vacation, and read that book that’s been sitting on your shelf all semester, calling to you while you wrote essays and studied for exams.   READ MORE

Winter Break and the Rest of Your Life

By Erin Hastey
December 10, 2012 - 12:54am

It’s so close, you can almost taste it. There’s a bite in the air, that promise of freedom, sweet freedom, in just a few short days and a few long finals. And thanks to all the snow that decided to show up on Friday night, you can’t help but have visions of sugarplums (or you know—some Christmas food people actually eat these days) dancing in your head when you should be memorizing key terms and formulas, or finishing up the last three pages of that term paper. Or last eight pages. Anyway, who’s counting? READ MORE

Home for the Holidays?!

By Anya Beaumont
December 10, 2012 - 12:36am

With the stress of finals, comes the stress of packing! We all just can’t wait to get home to smell the Christmas tree, or see the Hanukkah lights, or just sip hot cocoa in the privacy of our own room.              But how are you getting home?  Here are just a few travel tips that hopefully make your ride, flight, train ride or walk home from campus easier and more enjoyable!   Driving? $$$: Make sure you have saved up some gas money! Even with money saved, think about how many states you have to travel to, and try to take routes where you can get the cheapest gas, possibly without sales tax! READ MORE

The Well-Prepared-For Finals Week: Extinct, Endangered, or Just Plain Mythical?

By Erin Hastey
November 19, 2012 - 2:55am

The season is approaching—Jack Frost keeps baring his teeth, bringing winter out for a day or two only to scurry back into his cave. It’s time to make a calendar with flaps and eat a chocolate for each day that passes, getting us closer and closer to the big event. That’s right—finals week is only three weeks away! Finals this semester are December 10th to the 14th. READ MORE

Day of Dialouge

By Anya Beaumont
November 12, 2012 - 4:38pm

Not just one day of dialogue             Thursday, October 25th, 2012, University of Montana’s University Center held its annual “Day of Dialogue”. This day features talks throughout the day that raise important questions and conflicts. Talks cover race, violence, communication, and different cultures. READ MORE

Staying Healthy: Mind, Body, & Spirit

By Chelsea Niewald
November 11, 2012 - 6:07pm

Students are so focused on academics and of course their weekend festivities which sometimes takes a whole week to recover from. Most students think that “unwinding” and “de-stressing” includes beer pong, drinking all weekend, hangovers at football games, and recreational drugs. Now, of course students are in college to experiment and to party, but there comes a time where we should “unwind” and “de-stress” in a healthy way. Taking care of our mind, body, and spirit really allows for overall better health. As midterms have passed and finals approach, take advantage of the snow and cold weather to stay inside. Snuggle up to a good movie while you work on homework with a hot cup of apple cider. READ...