This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

When I inform someone that I live on campus at my university, the first thing I’m usually asked is, “Oh, how’s the food?” with a knowing, sympathetic expression. Every person I speak with about my college experience seems to automatically assume that since there is a cafeteria, and because the food is mass-distributed to the entire student body, that it must be dreadful. Luckily, in my opinion this is not this case. Perhaps I just love food so much that it all tastes good to me, but I think that students and faculty at the University of Montana are fortunate when it comes to eating on campus.

First and foremost is the sheer amount of variety. There’s the Food Zoo located within a stone’s throw of most of the residence halls, where they switch up their menu every day and have a full salad bar. You can find everything from pizza to sandwich ingredients to cereal to pork chops in the Food Zoo. Right next door to the cafeteria is the Country Store, a popular lunch spot complete with grocery store and court. Just recently the delicious coffee-makers of La Peak set up shop in the Country Store as well.

Across campus in the University Center is the UC Food Court, with options such as burritos, sandwiches, Asian food, and Pizza Hut. One of my favorite spots in the University Center is UM’s very own Jus’ Chillin location, where you can grab one of their delicious smoothies or a Liquid Planet coffee and a bagel.

My personal favorite aspect of eating on campus rolls around on Sunday mornings. The sky just seems a little bluer and the grass a little greener (and the snow a little cleaner?) on Sunday mornings, because taking place in the Food Zoo is the most spectacular culinary event ever: Waffle Bar. You are supplied with batter so that you may cook your own waffle to perfection and then smother it with butter and maple syrup, or strawberries… or peanut butter! The possibilities are endless.

Sounds like heaven, doesn’t it?

Campus Correspondant- My Campus Montana, colettemaddock@hercampus.com Colette Maddock is a senior at the University of Montana (class of 2011). She is a print Journalism major and a Women's Studies minor from Whitefish, Montana. This summer she interned at Skiing Magazine. She is passionate about winter sports, and loves skiing and figure skating. In her spare time she reads tons of books, tries to cook, and spends time with her friends.