Coffee, Tea and Your Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

The number of people in America with diabetes has reached an all time high and is still climbing. Type 2 diabetes is the most common due to the rise in obesity throughout the country. In Type 2 diabetes there is a decrease in the sensitivity of the body to insulin, which causes blood sugars to remain high. So what simple thing, along with a healthy lifestyle, can you do to reduce your risk? Drink coffee!

That’s right. Many studies now show that drinking coffee and caffeinated tea can significantly reduce the risk of getting Type 2 diabetes. A 2009 review article published in the Archives of Internal Medicine reviewed data from 18 studies on over 450,000 participants!  And what they found was that every additional cup of coffee consumed dropped your risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 7%.  It also showed that drinking at least 3-4 cups of coffee dropped your risk by 25% compared to drinking fewer that 2 cups per day. Decaffeinated coffee was also found to decrease the risk of diabetes, 30% lower if 3-4 cups were consumed.  Don’t like coffee?  Drinking 4 cups of tea decreased the risk by about 20%.

Why? A recent study out of Toronto published in Diabetologia might have the answer. Blood sugar levels two hours after a meal were found to be lower in those who had consumed caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee. In this recent study the authors found both caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee improved the function of cells in the pancreas and insulin sensitivity. 

Drinking coffee won’t eliminate your risk, however.  Those who have a genetic predisposition will be more likely to have type 2 diabetes. Exercising and diet will also help in reducing risk for not only diabetes but also heart disease and other health issues that can come up in life. Overall drinking coffee can help with reducing risk, but it can’t be the only thing changed to help you stay healthy. Maintaining a healthy weight and exercising as often as possible are the most important things to think about.  A goal of 150 minutes a week is ideal to stave off diabetes.

Diabetes is related to obesity, however, so when speaking about drinking coffee it’s “drip” coffee. Lattes loaded with fatty milk and sugary syrups might even increase your risk. So, if lattes and other specialty espresso drinks are your thing, make sure it’s as low fat as possible. Try choosing fat free milk and sugar free syrups to flavor your favorite drink. Also, limiting espresso intake in favor of tea or drip coffee would not necessarily be such a bad idea.

Campus Correspondant- My Campus Montana, colettemaddock@hercampus.com Colette Maddock is a senior at the University of Montana (class of 2011). She is a print Journalism major and a Women's Studies minor from Whitefish, Montana. This summer she interned at Skiing Magazine. She is passionate about winter sports, and loves skiing and figure skating. In her spare time she reads tons of books, tries to cook, and spends time with her friends.