Emma Watson Vanity Fair Photoshoot

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UL chapter.

An amazing actress, a beautiful and intelligent woman and a feminist.

Emma Watson recently took part in a photoshoot by Tim Walker for Vanity Fair which included her being on the cover of the well-known magazine. In my opinion, she looks amazing, as she always does.

However, many people had a problem with the fact that a woman who claims to be a feminist would show some cleavage for a photo shoot.  People seem to be under the illusion that because Emma is a feminist, she shouldn’t show off parts of her body in the way that other people would. To be quite honest, this baffles me.  It makes me believe that people have the completely wrong idea of what feminism actually is.

The feminist movement supports equality of the sexes. It supports equal rights. It supports the belief that women, as well as men are entitled to make their own choices. Emma Watson made the choice to show off her figure in a Vanity Fair photoshoot, so what? She’s entitled to. The fact that she chose to do this makes her no less of a feminist than she was before she did the photoshoot. She still believes that men and women should have equal rights. How do the clothes she wears for a photoshoot affect this in any way?

When asked about the photoshoot during a recent interview for the ‘Beauty and the Beast’ movie, Emma stated ‘I really don’t know what my tits have to do with it’. Realistically, her body and how she chooses to show it  has nothing to do with her being a feminist. Her choice to go braless has nothing to do with it either. If anything, she’s advocating for people’s right to CHOOSE how they want to act/dress etc. A woman showing parts of her breasts for a creative and stunning photoshoot doesn’t mean that her views and opinions should be taken any less seriously. Having breasts does not make her opinions less valid. People were surely aware before this photoshoot than women have breasts, as does Emma Watson, but now that she has chosen to dress in a way that slightly reveals them she can’t be considered a feminist, according to the backlash Everyone can dress how they want to dress; it doesn’t change their views or make them any less valid.

I admire her confidence. I admire her views and opinions. I admire the fact that uses the platform she has gained to do some good and to try make a change. I also admire the stunning photos that have nothing to do with her being a feminist. She deserves my respect, and she deserves yours too.

Official Contributor for HCUL
University of Limerick Chapter Correspondent. Studying Journalism and New Media.