What to Know Before Adopting a Dog in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo by Kellsie Kennedy

Having a dog has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.  Since adopting Riley, my mental health has dramatically improved.  I find myself being better at time management and tackling responsibilities.  I have become more patience, more loving and more kind.

However, when looking to adopt a dog, it can be difficult to also consider the negatives.  I spent hours researching topics anywhere from training to healthiest dog food.  I talked to friends who are in college and have a dog.  I was still not prepared.

A couple weeks after adopting Riley, she bit a man while we were on a walk.  I also quickly found out that potty training a stray is so much harder than training a puppy.  I had in my head that I would take her hiking and rock climbing.  That is, until I discovered how terrified she is of other dogs.  I hired a trainer.  It cost me $700, but it was worth it.    

I still love her and I regret nothing.  Yet, my experience makes me worry that if she had gone to someone else who was unprepared, they may have taken Riley either back to the shelter or have had her put down.  

It is easy to get caught up in the idea of having a pet.  If you are considering adopting, I urge you to keep this in mind.  Many times, animals act drastically different once out of the stressful environment of the shelter.  The only way to truly be prepared before you adopt is to understand that you cannot be prepared, no matter how much effort you put in to researching.  

"You can tell how smart people are by what they laugh at." -Tina Fey