UK’s Uptown Girl: Local Coffee Shops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Mid terms are finally winding down and I’m sure you’re just as tired of going to the library as I am. These are my two favorite local joints that are near campus, and both have great environments to get your study on. They offer food, comfort and a chance to get off campus and experience some of Lexington’s most colorful characters. 

3rd Street Stuff

Located on the corner of Third Street and Limestone, 3rd Street Stuff has everything you need. Great gifts, amazing and funky coffee drinks, outdoor seating, WI-FI, bulletins and more.

The charm of this place is truly the people. From the owner to the baristas and the customers that patron this place regularly, you are bound to find yourself in an environment where you feel inspired and productive. They serve light food and desserts as perfect compliments to their drinks AND they have a Happy Hour everyday from 5-7pm when all coffee and tea is half price. Check them out on Facebook and, more importantly, go check them out for yourself. This is truly one of Lexington’s Gems. 

“3rd Street Stuff is a community. A place for you to relax, feel comfortable and, perhaps, a little enlightened,” said Hendrick Floyd. 

Pat Gerhard, Owner of 3rd Street Stuff

Common Grounds Coffee Shop

Common Grounds has been a Lexington staple for years. They have a wide variety of hot and cold sandwiches, local pastries, and grab and go snacks. They offer fair trade coffee in bottomless cups so that you can sit and take all the time you need. Most of their more popular coffees are for sale in bulk.

With multiple study rooms on two levels, you are sure to find one that you vibe with.

It’s bright, friendly and fun. Common Grounds is open until midnight, which can be great for those last minute projects or papers.

Check them out for yourself, you won’t be disappointed. 

“It’s better than a library here! We serve food, have bottomless cups of coffee and offer you a peaceful environment to study in,” said Jessica, manager at Common Grounds. 

Lauren Conrad is a Print & Online Journalism senior at the University of Kentucky. After graduating UK with a degree in Sociology, Lauren spent two years working in marketing in Cincinnati, Ohio before deciding to move back to Lexington to enroll in UK's journalism program. Born in New Jersey, Lauren moved to the south at a young age and considers herself a southern girl at heart. A proud Wildcat, Lauren enjoys rooting for all UK sports. Always open for new beginnings, Lauren is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team and for whatever new challenges may come her way after graduation!