Things To Do In Lexington: Fall Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

We here at HCUK are so excited for fall!

The Pumpkin Spice Lattes, scarves, leggings and boots, and vests (Han Solo-style).

But, Lexington is a hub for culture and our college years are a perfect time to experience these opportunities. Here’s our bucket list for this fall!

Keeneland Race Course

The “horse capital of the world” hosts the best of thoroughbred racing, drawing some of the world’s best horses and horsemen. The fall meet runs from October 2 through October 24, and general admission is only $5 (in cash). This gives you access to bench seating trackside. The first race begins at 1:05, so make sure to be strategic with your classes. We recommend wearing something similar to the dress code for a daytime wedding in late summer or a fall event. You can never be overdressed at the races!

Boyd’s Orchard Fall Festivals

This family-owned orchard is located at 1396 Pinckard Pike, Versailles, KY 40383. It’s only about 20 minutes from campus, if traffic isn’t too bad. This hometown getaway is perfect after a stressful day at classes or as an outing with your friends. Pick up your own pumpkin, try the city’s best apple cider (in our oh-so-humble opinion), or pet the animals in the petting zoo, and slide down the 90 ft slide. We are obsessed with this little orchard, and it’s so close to campus! This fall, Boyd’s is open Tuesday through Saturday, from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, from noon to 5 p.m. But, they are closed Mondays, because we would make that business decision, too.

October 3-4: Fall Festival10-11: Pumpkin Festival17-18: October Festival24-25: Harvest Festival31-Nov. 1: Final Festival Weekend

Click here for more event information!

AND ALL OF THESE EVENTS

Check out even more events around Lexington here!

Local Coffee ShopsWe all know coffee shops have great fall specials, and local ones are always filled with fun local art and musicians. Check out these around town!

CoffeaPerfect for those right around campus. It’s located in front of Qdoba and Papa John’s on Rose street. Parking is limited, so visit it between classes for a quick pick me up!

Common Grounds Coffee HouseLocated at 343 E High St, it’s an old home converted to a homegrown business. It features local artists, musicians and poetry speaks sessions. Studying here is a must and is always fun for a rainy afternoon.

Coffee Times Coffee HouseThis one is located at 2571 Regency Road, right off of Nicholasville road. It has 60 different types of coffee, tea, pastries and local gifts. It’s a picture-perfect date or interview spot!

North Lime Coffee & DonutsBecause who doesn’t love a donut? Correction. Who doesn’t love a HOUSEMADE SPECIALTY DONUT??? This will save your life during midterms, finals and any Monday with its eclectic haunt. Located at 575 N. Limestone, it’s not too far from campus, but an ideal getaway.

Also, be sure to check out these other prime coffee shops:

Third Street Stuff, 257 N LimestoneA Cup of Common Wealth, 105 Eastern AveCoffee Pub, 4401 Harrodsburg Rd

UK Football GamesThe ritual of a good ‘ol SEC Football game is always a fall treat, especially in our new Commonwealth Stadium. Get your best blue or white dress (yes, even after Labor Day, because C-A-T-S CATSCATSCATS), and some sandals or cowgirl boots. Tailgating is held on South Campus, between the JC basketball courts and BCTC (also known as “The Bowl”) and everyone typically begins celebrating about 3 to 4 hours before the game. Grab your friends and have a Big Blue time!

Home games for Fall 2015 are as follows:

Sat, Sept. 26th vs Mizzou, 7:30 p.m.Sat, Oct. 3, vs EKU, 7:30 p.m.Thu, Oct. 15, vs Auburn 7 p.m.Sat, Oct 24, vs Mississippi St, TBDSat, Oct 31 vs Tennessee, TBDSat, Nov 21, vs Charlotte, TBDSat, Nov 28, vs Louisville TBD

Photo credits:

www.keeneland.com

www.myderbylove.com

twaa.asburyseminary.edu

www.topsinlex.com

papyrus.greenville.edu

www.kykernel.com

Coffee shop information via Google Reviews

I am a senior at the University of Kentucky working towards a major in Business and Organizational Communications and a Media Arts and Studies minor. I love scheduling every moment of the day; this includes, but is not limited to, long walks on the beach, horseback riding into the sunset and being a mix of northern sass with southern class.
"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).