Taylor Clements, editor of KRNL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

When we’re little, we all know what we want to be when we grow up, whether it’s an actress or an astronaut. Maybe even president of the U.S. But, Taylor Clements, a journalism major at UK with minors in French and dance, dreamed of fashion and working for ELLE magazine. “I used to tear out all the ads and stories I loved and tape them all over my walls. My room was pretty embarrassing,” she says. “Now, I just collect the magazines, so I have a stack about seven feet tall in my room.”

Originally from Louisville by way of Ann Arbor, Mich., Taylor is involved in the dance department at the university, as well as a member of the French Club. “I’ve been a dance minor since freshman year and am so thankful to have such a strong support group of hilarious, funny and talented people,” she says.

But, most recently, Taylor has a new job at The Kentucky Kernel, the University of Kentucky’s independent student newspaper, as the editor of KRNL, the fashion magazine. “I’ve become a part of the Kernel family and they’ve been so supportive of me and my career goals,” she says. “We’ve been doing some really awesome work at KRNL and I’m so excited to see how we grow in other ways as well.”

Though the fall fashion section of the Kernel has been published annually, Taylor and her staff are adding more content, in addition to photos, to make this year’s issue more like a traditional fashion magazine. “One of my favorite sections is called ‘Wear What Where’ and it has outfit ideas for specific locations or events around Lexington, so I’m hoping people will enjoy that,” she says. “I’ve had a lot of fun working on this issue, and our hope is that we can put even more into the spring edition.”

As she’s prepping the fall issue for publication, Taylor shared her favorite fall fashion trends for this season. Her picks? Felt hats and sneakers. “Even though I don’t wear them a ton, I love dark brown and black felt hats for fall. They’re floppy, but still have some shape and they’re a great way to look polished when you’re running on fumes in the morning,” she says. “As for sneakers, they’re a really cool update to ready-to-wear. Most people think boots for fall, which I love, but there are so many styles of sneakers right now that will add an unexpected punch to fall basics.”

But, Taylor’s go-to fashion piece? “Definitely my leather jacket,” she says. “It’s really cliché, but I wear it with everything no matter the season.”

When it comes to succeeding in the journalism field, Taylor advises students to start early and write often. “The professors are there to help you get the grammar and style down, but it’s ultimately you who elevates your work from good to great,” she says. “Also, never underestimate the power of a handwritten thank-you note.”

Not to mention physical and mental health. “They affect all other aspects of your life, so if you’re struggling with your health, it will show. Make sure you take care of and make time for yourself,” she says. “That’s where confidence stems from and it’s confidence that will take you far in every aspect of your life.”

As Taylor prepares to graduate a year early in May, she’s figuring out her next move. “Ideally, I’ll find a job where I can combine creativity, writing and design,” she says. “If that happens to be ELLE – or ELLE UK, which would be awesome – all the better.”

"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).