Our Wildcats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

The University of Kentucky is a home to so many not just here in the residencies. It’s a home to all alumni and all who continually show their support and love for the great state’s college. As a part of showing that support since 1865, the fan base has always had a big say in the university’s mascot—the symbol that unites them all. Everyone knows our generalized mascot, The Wildcats. However, most people don’t know that we actually have three mascots! It wasn’t always that way though, and it took a lot of trials and time to get us where we are today.

Where did “Wildcats” come from anyway?

The term was actually pronounced when Commandant Carbusier, head of the military department, told a chapel service that our football team had “fought like Wildcats” the day after a 6-2 football victory over Illinois on October 9th, 1909. That’s a long time with no mascot! Just think, that man could have said a million different things to describe us. Imagine the Kentucky Mongooses!

Our Very First Mascot

Here’s a secret, our first mascot was actually live animal, and it wasn’t even a wildcat! It was actually a bobcat, believe it or not. However, in Kentucky we refer to it as a wildcat. Being from a high school that’s mascot is a bobcat, I disagree, but who am I to judge? Anyway, this little wildcat’s name was Tom, purchased by Dick Webb, an assistant football coach.

However, the cats were struggling in captivity for a long time up until WWII, so we stopped having a mascot altogether. It wasn’t until 1947 when The Kentucky Kernel published an article that sparked alumni to push for a live mascot once more, and so we had one. In the late 1950s, UK hired a taxidermist and had a stuffed wildcat for nearly 10 years! The mighty “Kentucky Stuffed Wildcats?” Can you imagine that?

Dress Up Time!

It was the 1976-77 and those notorious UK supporters had no idea what was about to hit them. UK’s very own Gary Tanner was the original Wildcat. He danced and entertained the crowd Commonwealth Stadium, Rupp Arena, and many other athletic events. He typically wears the UK jerseys depending on the event, but on special occasions sports a classy blazer and classic patchwork trousers. He was a show stopper that is still used today in many events.

Double Trouble

As a part of the Sam Bowie and Melvin Turpin “Twin” era, our beloved Wildcat was joined by another cat walking in on stilts. This lovable, friendlier version would come to be known as Scratch. While The Wildcat has a “1” on his jersey, Scratch has a “1/2” in order to appeal to the children and the Junior Wildcat Club members. He is right by The Wildcat’s side with his backwards ball cap at all the games, and it’s nearly impossible to imagine one without the other now.

Ol’ Blue

Everyone knows our two famous costume mascots, but few know of our third mascot—Blue. Blue, a live wildcat, is currently residing in Salato Wildlife Education Center near the state capital of Frankfort. You can actually go there and see him! I’m sure he doesn’t get a ton of visitors due to the little known knowledge of his existence. Of course you can’t go in and pet him, but admire and wave nonetheless.

There you have it! A little peak inside the history of the University of Kentucky mascots that unite a fan base. 

Taylon is a senior English student student at UK. She is both a Staff Writer and Social Media Director for Her Campus UK. She is involved in College Mentors for Kids as the Vice President of Fundraising, Sigma Tau Delta - English Honors Fraternity, and Robinson Scholars. Her go-to Starbucks drink is an iced cold brew with almond milk and two pumps of white chocolate mocha.