etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Movies Coming This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

This school year has been great — it really has been. But boy am I glad it is finally over. Now… Summer break!

Who knows what will be the outcome of these next three beautiful months? So in the meantime, here is a short list of movies to watch out for this summer:

Overboard – Coming to theaters May 4

After an accident resulting in the loss of his memory, a self-centered rich playboy is deceived into believing he is married to Kate. Kate was an employee fired by Leonardo and this plot is her sweet revenge.

Breaking In – Coming to theaters May 11

Gabrielle Union, who plays Shaun Russell, would stop at nothing to rescue her children being held hostage in a house with unfathomable advanced security. This movie will show the lengths a mother would go to protect her babies.

Life of the Party – Coming to theaters May 11

Feeling as though her life has no meaning after a bad breakup, Melissa McCarthy, who plays Deanna, decides to find purpose for her life. She attempts to start over by going to college with her daughter. Not limiting herself because of her age, Deanna experiences college as if she were in her 20s. This is bound to be a great movie to make you laugh very hard.

Deadpool 2 – Coming to theaters May 18

Marvel’s most hilarious mercenary and sometimes superhero is back with his morbid personality that we can help but love. In this installment Deadpool tries to stop Cable from killing a child with pretty cool mutant powers. In order to face Cables’ strength, he recruits help from both old and new friends, forming the X-Force.

Best line previewed from the movie so far: “So dark, are you sure you’re not from the DC universe?”

Ocean’s 8 – Coming to theaters June 8

Ever been excited to see a heist go down? No? You will be when you watch this trailer. This movie shows a bad-a** group of women who try to do the impossible. Do they succeed, or is it a life behind bars that awaits them?

Incredibles 2 – Coming to theaters June 15

Only 14 years later, his superhero family is back to kick some butt, right where “The Incredibles” ended, but with a twist. This time, Mr. Incredible stays home with the kids while Elastigirl is out saving the world and campaigning for the return of “Supers.” The family must then work together during this transition to fight a new villain, Screenslaver.

Hotel Transylvania 3 – Coming to theaters July 13

Yet another adventure with this family as they go on a vacation on a monster cruise ship so that Drac can get a vacation after providing one for everyone else. Obviously, something goes wrong and the dreams turns into a nightmare as Drac falls for Ericka, who hides a dark secret that could be the end of all monsters.

The Darkest Minds – Coming to theaters August 3

This movie follows a group of teens with mysterious power. After being declared a threat by the government, this group runs away from their homes to find a safe haven. Later, realize they will never really be safe they from a resistance; a resistance intended to fight against the adults who have betrayed them.

The Spy Who Dumped Me – Coming to theaters August 3

A  hilarious action comedy about two best friends who are unexpectedly shoved into an international conspiracy as a result of an ex. This ex just happened to be a CIA agent with assassins on his trail — an assassin who will now try to kill Audrey and Morgan. The duo must try to save the world without dying.

Abby Olaleye is a junior at the University of Kentucky. I'm currently majoring in Biosystems Engineering with a minor in Biomedical Engineering. I'm a writer for HerCampus because writing is fun and a better way to procastinate.