Meet Graduating Her Campus Writer, Elizabeth Baker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo provided by Elizabeth Baker

Name: Elizabeth Baker

Age: 22

Year: 5th year senior

Major: Integrated Strategic Communication

Hometown: Lexington, KY

Her Campus: What is your position with Her Campus? 

Elizabeth: I’m a weekly contributor and last semester I served as the marketing and publicity director

Her Campus: How long have you been with Her Campus?

Elizabeth: Just since last year!

Her Campus: How did you get involved with the club and why?

Elizabeth: I saw on an email that our chapter was looking for writers, and I jumped on the opportunity. I love HerCampus – I follow all their social media and I’m constantly reading content on their website. I thought it would be incredible to be a part of something I love and respect already, and I definitely wasn’t wrong.

Her Campus: What is your favorite part about being a writer?

Elizabeth: It’s a great way for me to vent about things that bother me! But seriously, it’s a nice break from writing things I’m assigned to write. Here, I can write about anything I want!

Her Campus: Any challenges being a writer? 

Elizabeth: My biggest challenge is balancing all my time commitments. I have a job, I’m an intern, I take 18 hours of classes, and I’m a writer… somewhere in there I’m also supposed to find time to search for post-graduate jobs, maintain social relationships, keep my grades up, and “have fun?” It can be seriously overwhelming. So sometimes, I push writing to the back of my to-do list, thinking I can easily get it done during crunch time (but usually, that’s not the case).

Her Campus: What are your plans after graduating? 

Elizabeth: Lololol https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1M7rTZt3SAGOqR2RYi6Jf8QUyGCcEiOq1UQBihWOs5mk/edit?usp=sharing

Her Campus: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Elizabeth: Career-wise? I have no idea. It’s honestly not something I think about a lot, but I’m totally okay with that. My 10-year plan includes things like:

·       Getting off my parents’ insurance plan (and cell phone plan)

·       Purchasing my own car

·       Paying off a significant portion of my student loans

·       Accumulating $8-10 thousand in savings

·       Becoming a homeowner

Her Campus: Anything you will miss about UK or being a student?

Elizabeth: The thing I’m going to miss the most is the faulty. Seriously, my advisors and professors over the years have been the most encouraging, uplifting, and motivating people I’ve ever met. I’m very sad to say goodbye to these people that have helped shape me into the woman I am today.

Her Campus: Advice to new students?

Elizabeth: Try new things, and don’t get discouraged. Spend your first few semesters exploring new topics, joining new clubs, and meeting new people. I changed my major nine, yes, NINE times. I went to two different universities, and it’s taken me five years. And I wouldn’t change any of it for the world. I have learned so much in my time in college, but the one piece of advice I can give is to not get discouraged. College is really, really hard. You’ll fall in love and get your heartbroken, you’ll get so drunk you throw up in someone’s front lawn, you’ll pass some classes with flying colors and you’ll fail a couple, too, but it’ll be okay. Everything happens for a reason, and everything will work out. Work hard, but enjoy the process – it’ll be over before you know it!

Her Campus: Favorite memory at UK?

Elizabeth: My favorite memories are those involving sporting events. Cats fans are super dedicated, and there’s nothing like seeing your peers go all out for football tailgates or seeing houses covered with crazy banners during March Madness.

I may never win a Pulitzer, but I will be doing something that makes me happy and I would not change that.