Lyndsey Gough, intern for Rupp TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Here at the University of Kentucky: we have a tradition. We win. Pretty simple, right? Just take a look at our eight national championship titles. Or the track record of 21-year-old journalismbroadcast senior, Lyndsey Gough.

Just like our 6 ft. 1,000 in. basketball players, Lyndsey is definitely a larger-than-life celebrity here in the land of blue and white. She’s interned for ESPN radio, and is a regular on the campus news station. And, that’s just the tip of the iceberg. “I write for Wildcatbluenation.com, covering primarily UK football and men’s basketball, but I dabble in a little of everything,” says Gough. “They’re owned by Fansided, which is owned by Sports Illustrated, so that’s pretty cool. I’ve had a few others like Cal’s Fantasy Camp, and I just started with Rupp TV as well, and that has been a ton of fun.”

When she’s not watching UK sports, Lyndsey’s also an avid Tweeter. Her entertaining commentaries include (but are not limited to): posting pictures from UK sports press conferences,quoting Drake and showing off her “Kicks of the Day.”

As she continues to grow her broadcast career and prepares for graduation in May, Lyndsey will continue the tradition as a winning Wildcat. After all, “clear eyes, full hearts, CAN’T LOSE.”

Her Campus: Why did you decide to come to UK?Lyndsey Gough: I took all of my high school college tour days, and it’s the only place I applied or even looked. Aside from the fact I love it here – the campus, the people, and the sports, I fell in love with my major and had a number of awesome opportunities in my field and my sorority played a huge role. I love AOII and had a lot of fun. I bleed blue and couldn’t see myself anywhere else.

HC: What has been the most influential thing about being at UK?LG: UK has really opened my eyes to the world. Coming from a small town, I never experienced too many different points of view or met people from different religions and nationalities. I’ve learned there’s so much to see and do and amazing people [are] everywhere.

HC: You’ve always been a UK fan. How does it feel to be able to cover UK sports?LG: Growing up a UK fan and now getting to be around the coaches and athletes and really see everything from the inside is an awesome feeling. Before, I was glued to media outlets reading up on our teams and now I am writing and giving other people the information. So, the tables have kind of turned. A lot of the journalists I used to read and watch I [now] work side-by-side with on a daily basis. It’s very eye-opening to see the athletes outside of the TV and outside of games.

HC: How are you involved with ESPN?LG: I interned for ESPN 1300, which is Lexington’s ESPN radio affiliate, covering pretty much every college basketball team in the state, but focusing a lot on UK. I also did high school football and “basketball game of the week” with them each week, and helped with their PR and Marketing a little, and would go on the Sunday talk show now and then. I was also a part of ESPNU’s Campus Connection at UK. A handful of us were chosen by our professors to be the first students to assist with an SEC Men’s basketball game (UK vs. Ole Miss). I [also] submitted a feature story during March Madness on one of our women’s basketball players for their ‘for the love of the game’ segment, so I plan to stay involved with both of them this year.

HC: How will covering UK sports in college advance your broadcast career?LG: Aside from the connections, the experience is invaluable. I started covering UK as a sophomore, so I have three years of experience. When I go into a job hunt, this will be super helpful because I already feel comfortable in those environments and I know what to do.

HC: What are your plans for after graduation?LG: My dream job is working for ESPN’s College Game Day. Obviously, I won’t start there, but I’d like to work my way up at ESPN or start at the SEC network or a market that has a variety of sports like Dallas that has collegiate and professional sports.

HC: What advice do you have for women at UK, and those who are considering a broadcast major?LG: For any female: know your worth, make people respect you, and like everyone on Twitter has been saying lately, “wear red lipstick, eat your vegetables, do your squats and don’t let boys be mean to you.” In our [broadcast] field: develop tough skin, work hard, stay humble and never let anyone tell you that you can’t do something or you don’t know enough.

I am a senior at the University of Kentucky working towards a major in Business and Organizational Communications and a Media Arts and Studies minor. I love scheduling every moment of the day; this includes, but is not limited to, long walks on the beach, horseback riding into the sunset and being a mix of northern sass with southern class.
"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).