Lauren Kowalski, Writer for Her Campus at the University of Kentucky

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Name: Lauren Kowalski

Age: 20

Year: Sophomore

Major: Integrated Strategic Communication

Hometown: Atlanta, Ga.

Her Campus: What is your position on campus?

Lauren Kowalski: I am a writer for Her Campus.

HC: How did you get involved in the club?

LK: I got an e-mail from the fantastic Sam Rogers about the re-launch of University of Kentucky’s Her Campus, and I knew immediately that I wanted to be a part of it!

HC: What is your favorite part of being in the club?

LK: Getting positive feedback from my family and my friends about the stories that I write for the magazine. I love to write, so it’s very rewarding for me when I hear that people enjoy my stories.

HC: And the biggest challenge?

LK: Finding the time to write while juggling school and other outside activities.

HC: What other things are you involved in on campus?

LK: I’m a member of the Delta Zeta sorority (turtles for the win). I’m also a part of our sorority’s PR committee, and I’m in charge of all the submissions and media to our national chapter.

HC: What is your dream job?

LK: To work as a creative director at an advertising firm. Also, if I could write books on the side and get paid for it, that would be perfect.

HC: What are your hobbies?

LK: Writing, playing soccer, running, snacking all day and every day, Netflixing, and listening to music.

HC: What advice would you give to new students?

LK: I’m going to answer this question with one of my favorite quotes by Rachel Scott: “Don’t let your character change color with your environment. Find out who you are, then let it stay its true color.” Be yourself.

HC: What is your favorite memory at UK so far?

LK: When the UK Men’s Basketball Team beat Wisconsin last year in the NCAA tournament and we made it through to the championship. I watched the game with my sorority sisters at Newtown Townhomes, and after the game, we ran all the way to State Street with a massive group of other students. People were hugging, fireworks were lighting up the sky, and everyone was celebrating UK’s victory together. It was a great night to be a Wildcat!

"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).