How to Make Your Dorm Room Feel Like Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photos by Paige Maffett

Arriving at school to see a dorm with nothing in it made my imagination run wild. There are so many possibilities and options when it comes to decorating a room so I was beyond excited. I knew I would get my room to look exactly how I wanted it too and nothing short of that. Here are a few things that I incorporated into my room to make it a bit more homey.

• Pictures

Spreading out photos of you and your loved ones all throughout your wall space can fill up the room in minutes! Now instead of looking at blank walls, a variety of pictures will bring back fun memories and give your room some personality. It’s amazing what a few pictures can do when it comes to decoration, especially if you space them out to cover up as much wall space as possible.

• Posters

Music artists. Movies. Albums. You can find just about anything in the form of a poster. These are huge when it comes to livening up your room. Posters are a big indicator of what interests you as a person and help people get to know you immediately.

• Lights

String lights are an awesome way to spruce up your room without too much effort. Command strips and hooks will do the trick when it comes to hanging them up. My roommate and I have three different strands of lights in our dorm so it makes for a completely different vibe when you leave one room and enter the next. We like to keep things interesting so we have always been adding and subtracting decorations in our space.

I hope these suggestions find you well and you can use some of my ideas to make your space a bit more friendly!

Hi all, I'm Paige. You could find me outside or making art. I'm inspired to take on another semester leading a great group of girls at UK!