This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

The large amount of studying and condensed amount of time to do it during finals can stress out even the most organized, well-prepared student. These tips are just a few things I have learned to help strengthen my own study habits.

• Make your own study guide

Looking at a large binder of lecture notes can be a bit overwhelming. I have found that it always helps me to create my own version of a study guide. This version has the same content but it is organized in a way that I prefer to look at. This way I can keep the information clear and concise. This method of studying helps me to judge my time properly as well because I can accurately see how much material I have left. Rewriting information in the long run because I end up studying it more by making sure I understand the material before writing it down.

• Stay hydrated

Not drinking enough water can cause headaches, fatigue and dizziness. None of these symptoms make me want to study or take an exam. Avoid not feeling your best by drinking generous amounts of water throughout the day (yes, even if that means you have make frequent restroom trips). It is important to drink water to maintain function of every system in your body including the heart, brain and muscles.  

• Reward yourself with breaks

The human mind is able to focus on any given task for up to two hours. After that two hours, we need a 20-30 minute break to recharge and better our ability to focus. Here are some suggestions on what you can do during this break

• Exercise

Exercising is a great way to reduce stress and stimulate the brain for more effective study sessions. Going to the gym is a great way to break up studying and it can even make you more productive.

Face masks are another way to unwind during this 20-30 minute time period. Not to mention, they work wonders by removing excess oils and hydrating the face. Sit back and relax while the face mask does its trick and you will feel rejuvenated in the midst of a stressful finals week.

• If you have a cold, fight it

Nothing is worse than going to a final exam while dealing with a sickness. Constant coughing and sniffling can be so distracting when trying to focus. Personally, cold medicine has saved me a few times already this semester and it might be all you need to make your finals easier.

• Sleep

Getting adequate amounts of sleep during finals week is difficult but necessary for the best performance. Starting the studying early in order to get a good night’s rest will assist in optimal learning and increases memory function.

Hopefully these tips help you during your own finals preparation!

Photos courtesy of unsplash.com

Hi all, I'm Paige. You could find me outside or making art. I'm inspired to take on another semester leading a great group of girls at UK!