How to be Healthy in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

1.     Track your steps! I recommend investing in something like a Fitbit or a Jawbone Band. It makes getting 10,000 steps a day fun! I use to just look at my phone but it wasn’t as motivating or as accurate. Trust me you will be finding all the excuses you can to get up and move around!

2.     It is very difficult to eat healthy in college. Especially when you are living in the dorms and can’t cook your own meals. This doesn’t mean you should eat less! Eating three portioned meals a day will make a huge improvement! Over time your body will get use to this and you will notice you snack little to none and are rarely hungry.

3.     It is important to consistently eat similar meals, your body will get use to it and then your metabolism will work faster.

4.     If you decrease your amount of carb and sugar intake, even by half of what you normally would do, you will see a difference! Not just in your weight overtime, but also in your overall energy. You will find you feel much less lethargic and motivated to be active.

5.     I have found that planning out a month ahead of exercise plans will only make you less likely to actually work out. Instead of telling yourself you are going to work out and hour everyday for a month. Just go do. Stop wasting time psyching yourself out and go for a run. After you work out your body is flooding with endorphins, you will be much more likely to do it again when you are on that high.

6.     Keep a big stash of healthy snacks and a small stash of guilty pleasures. If you force a strictly vegetable diet you will be a hangry mess! Save your friends from the torcher and allow yourself a portion chips everyone in awhile.

7.     When you are in the mood to mindlessly eat in front of Netflix, trade the chips for carrot sticks or celery. It will fill you up and satisfy the crunch you are looking for.

8.     Go outside. Even if you are just sitting outside, it is better than sitting in your dark gloomy dorm room!

9.     Drink water! I don’t know why but living in the dorms has made me drink less water. It can be challenging to drink eight glasses a day. Water makes a huge difference as to how productive you make your day.

10.  Sleep! This is probably the hardest things to achieve as a college student. Even getting an hour more sleep will change your activeness drastically. Try skipping the time you spend in bed on your phone before you fall asleep. Twitter can wait until the next days lecture ;).

Jackie Mangin is a freshman at the University of Kentucky, majoring in Integrated Strategic Communications. 
"All you need is faith, trust, and pixie dust."