HCUK Campus Celebrity: Tori Shisler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Name: Tori Shisler

Age: 22

Year: Senior

Major: Kinesiology/Pre-Law

Hometown: Canton, Ohio

Campus Celeb Status: President of 4 Paws for Ability at UK

Her Campus: How and why did you first get involved with 4 Paws for Ability here at UK?

Tori Shisler: I first got started my freshman year as a puppy sitter for the organization. I saw so many dogs on campus, and actually one of the RAs in my dorm had one, so I looked for a way to get involved as quickly as possible. I LOVE dogs, but for me this program goes much deeper than that. One of my best friends from high school has epilepsy and I was there when she had a seizure. I remember the feelings distinctly, and cannot imagine having to go through that everyday, especially if that was my child. So when I found out the dogs could be seizure alert dogs, it just furthered my drive to become a part of this awesome organization.

HC: What are your responsibilities as the president of 4 Paws?

TS: The biggest responsibility is being accountable for all of the dogs on campus, as well as our incredible fosters that have them. Not only do I have to be concerned with what my dog is doing, but I’m always looking out for other people, too. I never want one of our fosters to feel like they are alone doing this, so I make myself available for help as soon as they need it. Besides that, I review applicants, conduct interviews and select our fosters (along with the help of my awesome VPs). Then, I have to schedule meetings and outings. Basically, I’m the go-between for campus and the main headquarters in Ohio! It’s a lot of work, especially the behind-the-scenes part that many people don’t even know about, but I honestly love it and am so proud to be doing it.

HC: In your tenure as president, what accomplishment are you most proud of?

TS: I am most proud of how much money our members, and the entire UK and 4 Paws community, has raised in our fundraising efforts. Currently, we are fundraising $10,000 to sponsor a litter of future service dogs. What this means is we will be financially caring for these puppies on their way to becoming service dogs! The really cool part is that we get to pick their names!! Our future litter will be “Lexington”-themed and feature names from Lexington and UK. We are only about $1,600 from our goal. Once we make it, we will be the first college program to sponsor a litter of puppies!

HC: What has been the most rewarding about serving in this position?

TS: The most rewarding part of being president is without a doubt watching the 100+ puppies that have come through the program while I’ve been serving grow up into amazing service dogs. While not every puppy makes it as a service dog, seeing the dogs mature over a semester and then, see them placed in their new home is the best. I’m always so proud to see a UK foster placed as a service dog!

HC: What has been the most challenging aspect of being president of 4 Paws?

TS: The most challenging aspect of being president is trying to balance everything, but I honestly think that comes with a leadership position in any organization. Trying to balance everyone’s wants, needs and ideas, all while not straying away from what is absolutely best for the organization, can be hard sometimes. My personality is to try and make everyone happy, and to never say “no,” so that’s something that has been challenging.

HC: What advice do you have for students at UK thinking about getting involved with 4 Paws for Ability?

TS: If you think you can’t do it because of how sad it is to give the puppy back at the end of the semester, I strongly encourage you to think again! I would be lying if I said I didn’t cry over each of my dogs (and to date, I’ve said “see you soon” to 9 of them). But, I can also tell you that after seeing 6 of them placed as amazing service dogs with even more amazing children is worth every single tear. I always tell people that it’s worth the heartbreak. Someone has to love these dogs, teach them how to be a good service dog and then, cry over them, so it might as well be me. And it can be you, too! All the sad tears cried at “see you soon” (which is when the puppy goes to 4 Paws for advanced training) are completely worth the happy tears cried at graduation day, when the dog becomes a service dog.

HC: How can students learn more about 4 Paws here at the university?

TS: Follow our facebook page, 4 Paws for Ability at UK! That’s the best way to stay up to date with our organization, including what we are doing in the community outside of UK!!

"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).