HCUK Campus Celebrity: Sarah Macke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Name: Sarah MackeAge: 20Year: JuniorMajor: Merchandise, Apparel, and TextilesHometown: Louisville, Ky.Campus Celeb Status: Panhellenic President 

HC: What is this position and who do you impact?

SM: Panhellenic President means I am President of the Panhellenic Council,the governing body for the 15 National Panhellenic Conferencesororities we have on the University of Kentucky’s campus. This jobimpacts all of the women who are members of the NPC on UK’s campus andtheir chapters.

HC: What made you want to run for this position?

SM: I wanted to run for this position, because I wanted to help the Greekcommunity as much as I can. I am very passionate about Greek life andwanted to be able to help our community thrive and grow in positiveways. I also love helping people, so being able to work with all thechapters and individuals within the chapters has been very rewarding,because I get to hear great ideas and see growth of our communityright here on campus.

HC: How do you feel this has enhanced your college experience?

SM: This experience has helped enhance my college experience by opening upmany opportunities that I did not have otherwise. Opportunities tomeet Greek members from across the nation and collaborate with them,to hear incredibly empowering speakers, to help my own campuscommunity grow, and my list could go on. My college experiencedefinitely would not have been the same without this opportunity to bea leader, and I am forever grateful for all of the support and tools myposition and my community have given me.

HC: What are your responsibilities as Panhellenic President?

SM: Being president of Panhellenic, as well as any organization, comeswith a lot of responsibilities. I preside over the Panhellenic Councilon UK’s campus, so I call our council meetings and lead them, I keeptrack of any and all important documents, agendas, by-laws,guidelines, etc. I also coordinate delegate and officer transitionsand hold elections in meeting when needed, as well as hold PresidentRound Tables with all chapter presidents and meet with the othercouncil presidents. I also help prepare for recruitment during thesummer, working closely with the Vice President of Recruitment.

HC: What has been the most rewarding about serving this position?

SM: The most rewarding thing about my position is that I get to helppeople. I aim to help make this community the best it can be and I amalways open to hearing new, innovative ideas about how to move Greeklife forward in a positive way. It makes me so happy when someonecomes to me with an idea and I, along with my council, get to helpthem bring their idea to life. A specific moment that really sticksout in my mind is the Bid Day Pledging Ceremony from this past FallRecruitment. Standing on that stage, watching all of those women opentheir bids, and seeing and hearing the pure joy and excitement wasincredibly rewarding. It definitely made all of our hard work worth it,being able to see how excited these women were to be joining ourcommunity!

HC: What advice do you have for UK students thinking about gettinginvolved with Fraternity and Sorority Affairs on campus?

SM: My best advice for any students thinking about getting involved is togo for it. Go be involved with your community. You joined yourorganization and this community for a reason, so you have a passion forGreek life. I encourage you to harness that passion and use itconstructively. Start researching how you can actively be involved,ask questions, share your ideas, because making this community the bestit can be is a group effort. We all belong to different organizations,but at the end of the day, we are one community and we must worktogether to help each other become even better than before.

I am a senior at the University of Kentucky working towards a major in Business and Organizational Communications and a Media Arts and Studies minor. I love scheduling every moment of the day; this includes, but is not limited to, long walks on the beach, horseback riding into the sunset and being a mix of northern sass with southern class.
"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).