HCUK Campus Celebrity: Mariel Jackson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Name: Mariel Jackson

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: Integrated Strategic Communications

Hometown: Murray, Ky.

Campus Celeb Status: Student Body Vice President

HC: Congratulations on your position as Vice President of SGA for 2014-2015! Have you enjoyed working for student government in this capacity?

MJ: Serving the student body as the Student Government Vice President has been the most rewarding experience of my college career thus far. I am honored to have been elected and will be forever grateful for the opportunity. It has been a great year!  

HC: How and why did you first get involved with SGA here at UK?

MJ: I began my involvement in SGA as a freshmen in the Leadership Development Program and then, served as a freshman senator. I was a senator at-large last year and also the LDP assistant, and now serve in my current role as VP. 

HC: What accomplishment are you most proud of during your tenure in office?

MJ: I just had the opportunity to serve as the student representative on the UK Provost Search Committee. Serving in that capacity was a wonderful experience and I am very pleased with the results of that process.

HC: What has been the most rewarding about serving as Vice President of SGA?

MJ: The SGA VP is also the director of the freshmen Leadership Development Program. I have been involved with LDP for 3 years and being able to contribute to the growth of the next UK campus leaders is incredibly rewarding. 

HC: What has been the most challenging aspect of the position?

MJ: There are often times when unexpected meetings or scheduling conflicts arise or planning upcoming events becomes overwhelming, but in the end, everything seems to work out. 

HC: What advice do you have for UK students thinking about running for student government in the upcoming elections?

MJ: Running for office is very time-consuming, and anyone interested needs to be both passionate and knowledgable about student government. For those currently running for office, best of luck!

HC: How can students at UK learn more about SGA?

MJ: Students can access information about SGA programs, and contact senators and exec members via our website uksga.org. I highly encourage any student interested in learning more about SGA to stop by our office in the Student Center (located next to Panda Express).

"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).