HCUK Campus Celebrities: DanceBlue 2015 Dancers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

It’s the best day of the year: DanceBlue!

The 24-hour, no-sitting, no-sleeping dance marathon, where thousands of UK students work to raise money and awareness for the Golden Matrix Fund and the Markey Cancer Center, benefitting the university’s Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Clinic patients and families.

Last year, the event raised a record $1,436,606.24 For The Kids, and hope to surpass this number in 2015!

Here’s a message from Danceblue’s overall chair, Jonathan York (via the official website):

When I first accepted the position of Overall Chair, I did not anticipate how unforgettable the experience would be. I was incredibly humbled and I was determined to plan the best DanceBlue yet. I was excited to volunteer in the DanceBlue Clinic, but I was unsure how the kids would impact my life. Although I am beyond eager to see all of our hard work culminate on February 14th, I have learned so much more from the Kids than I ever thought possible. I have gained an incredible amount of knowledge over the course of my career at the University of Kentucky, but the lessons from the Kids at the DanceBlue Clinic are by far the most important, and the ones I will keep with me for the rest of my life.

Throughout this year, I have been trying to find the proper way to describe what makes DanceBlue, and the Kids we support, so special. For those who have danced, it is easy to understand. But, it is difficult to describe the intangible energy in Memorial Coliseum during DanceBlue to those who have not participated. Recently, as I have begun to think about our upcoming event, it has all come into focus. I am reminded of the words of the late Stuart Scott from his ESPYS speech last year. He stated, “When you die, you do not lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live.” Although the children we love face the unimaginable challenge of cancer, they approach their lives with perseverance, bravery, and positivity. How they live, and the manner in which they live, is what makes DanceBlue so impactful. I have learned to approach every aspect of my life as they do, and it is the greatest gift I have ever received.

As we approach the end of our fundraising effort, and anticipate the 2015 DanceBlue Marathon, I urge you all to support these children who have given us this priceless knowledge.

Although their outlook is a powerful ally in their fight, DanceBlue is truly the best way to help them, once and for all, beat cancer. By donating to DanceBlue, you will be a champion For The Kids. Join us in making the 10th DanceBlue the most successful marathon yet.

Donate today, and be a part of the DanceBlue experience this Valentine’s day.

For The Kids, Forever and Always,

Jonathan York

In recognition of these students’ efforts, thse dancing at DanceBlue this year are our Campus Celebrities!

Stay tuned to our Twitter and Instagram pages; we’ll be featuring these students’ photos and videos all night, until the marathon ends at 2 p.m. tomorrow.

FTK!

Picture Credits:

www.kykernel.com

"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).