Great Ideas for Halloween Costumes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

If you haven’t thought about your Halloween costume yet, it’s time to start. Halloween is right around the corner and before you know it, you’ll be the only one wearing last year’s pregnant Beyoncé costume. Not to mention, college isn’t just one night in college, it can be multiple nights which means something more frightening than Paranormal Activity 3- multiple costumes. Yikes! But before you get too scared of this idea, think of it in a positive way. Now you don’t have to narrow your Halloween persona to just one character. So you can be scary and cute, sexy and funny. The best Halloween costumes are a mixture of both or even all of these things. But I know you’re probably busy with midterms and painting fraternity formal coolers, and it’s hard to focus on anything else. So here’s a few of my favorite original Halloween costumes to get your creative juices flowing:

Three’s Company
My favorite costume for a trio is Three Blind Mice. There are so many different mice costumes out there that you can pick whichever one you’re most comfortable in (or even just a grey t-shirt and grey leggings!), add a cane and sunglasses and boom! Instant Three Blind Mice. And if anyone asks what you’re supposed to be, you can quote one of the best movies in cinematic history, “I’m a mouse, duhh.”

Birds of a Feather Flock Together
There are endless possibilities for costumes when you’re going out with a group, but one of my favorites is the birds and the bees. Half of your group can dress up as birds, the other half bees and you’ve pretty much got the concept across. The best thing about this costume (other than the clever play on a phrase) is that there’s really no limit to your costumes and when you and your group lose each other, your costume still makes sense. You don’t have to be the random Ginger Spice flying solo at a party.

Eggs Over Easy
This one takes some imagination, and I think that’s why I like it so much. For this costume all you need is a fitted outfit (easy) and an empty carton of eggs (eggs!). Make a hat out of the carton and there you have it! Eggs over easy. There are so many costumes you can make from a play on words and these usually turn out to be the crowd favorite because they’re so original!

Of course, these are just a few ideas to spark your imagination. The possibilities are really endless. Homemade or bought from the store, you’re sure to look great every night of Halloween. As long as you can say no to the candy….

Rachael Gilley is in her junior year at the University of Kentucky, majoring in English and minoring in Psychology. Although she was born and raised in northwestern Ohio, she has spent the past seven years in Kentucky and is a Wildcat fan at heart. She hopes to travel the world for at least a few months before settling into a high school level teaching position upon graduating in 2014. Rachael is an avid book-reader, loves finding new music to blast in her car, and spending her Sunday afternoons learning more about yoga.