Good Girl Gone Bad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Good Girl Gone Bad

…Well, not necessarily. I am still the old prude that I was in high school living with my parents, but a few things have changed since I came to college that would’ve totally been out of character for me before. Everyone changes in college. It’s typical behavior for a college-aged student. I haven’t necessarily changed that much, but I have become the person that I was meant to be.

I am more confident in myself. I was the shy girl in high school, the one that kept to herself, didn’t really talk to anyone aside from a few people in the same friend group. I now have many friends from all different places and I don’t even have to talk to them daily to keep up the relationship. We are all in college; we know that everyone else is busy. I hold my head high everyday because I am proud to be me.

I dress how I want to. I have no dress codes whether from the school or my parents. My style has changed drastically. I can now wear short shorts without being criticized by my others, or at least I do not care that they criticize me. I now realize that my clothes do not define my character and wearing a tank top and booty shorts does not make me a slut or a hoe. I do not deserve to be harassed by anyone because of my choice of outfit for the day regardless of if it makes me a harlot. I was never aloud to wear just a tank top without a cardigan, shorts above mid-thigh, or anything that would label me ‘slutty’, outside of the house.

I can think freely. I do not have to agree with the opinions of others just to make them happy. I can have my own opinion on things and be accepted and appreciated for that opinion. I have learned to not judge others and to be more accepting since I have experienced a diverse set of backgrounds and people while on campus.

I can watch shows like True Blood or Game of Thrones and not feel rebellious because sex organs are natural and everyone has them. I was always ashamed to watch scenes with people kissing passionately or doing sexual things because sex is dirty. I still look away from the TV at times because I do not want other people to know that I watch things like that.

I can do things that I was never aloud to do before, like stay out late with friends or go to gay bars. I never had friends over for the night and I never stayed the night with friends. I was not aloud to have a boyfriend until I was 16 (and my parents still were not happy that I went against their wishes to stay single until I am 30).

There are still some things that I am working on, but I am pretty happy with how I am turning out. I have definitely changed as a person and grew into someone much happier and in tune with myself. 

I may never win a Pulitzer, but I will be doing something that makes me happy and I would not change that.
My name is Sydney E. Baker, but mostly people call me Slim. As a junior at the University of Kentucky, I am pursuing a B.A in Integrated Strategic Communication (a mouthful I know but I wouldn't have it any other way). During my studies, I am focused on building my professional self - which basically means staying so busy that I hardly get a wink of sleep. I previously served as the Campus Correspondent for the UK chapter of Her Campus and before that I was only a writer. To know more about me visit http://www.linkedin.com/in/sydneyebaker.