Everything You Need to Know About Studying for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

I’ve never been a fan of the F word, but it’s that time of the semester when people throw the word around to and fro. That’s right, folks: it’s Finals Week. It’s that time of the semester where fun on campus is fictitious and stress is at an all-time high. This year, take the reins and follow these five tips to help you survive Finals Week!

1. Find the most effective study method for you.

Everyone learns differently and you need to find the study method that works best for you! Studies show that practice tests are the unanimous best method for all students to learn. Not fond of practice tests? Flashcards are another effective method. Consider adding color to your study guide or explaining the exam materials to a friend. Whatever it is, find your preferred method and let it lead you to an “A.”

2. Fuel your body.

In order to achieve academic success, you need to treat your body right. That means maintaining a healthy diet and getting plenty of exercise. Be sure to drink plenty of water and try to eat fruits and vegetables, rather than reaching for popcorn, chips and all of your other Finals Week munchies. Believe me, your body will thank you. Additionally, studies show that students who exercise before exams outperform students that remain sedentary. I’m not saying you need to go run a marathon, but remember to stay active! That might even give you the excuse to get some much-desired fresh air!!

3. Sleep.

Finals Week is basically an overload of caffeine. We’re talking about the Diet Coke, Red Bull, 5-hour Energy and that venti Starbucks with an extra shot of espresso consumed all in one sitting, just to ensure we have enough time to study. But, don’t forget to hit the hay every once and a while. Finals Week is often an epidemic of zombie students walking around campus without enough sleep. Be nice to your body and [at least try to] get some sleep.

4. Have fun.

Finals shouldn’t be as stressful if you have a study method that works for you (see item one). That being said, be sure to take study breaks that you enjoy! Watch funny movies, converse with friends or pick up that book you’ve been dying to read. Do Finals Week right and do something that makes you laugh.

5. Believe in yourself.

It sounds dorky, but it’s true. If you walk into a test confidently believing you’ll do well, you’ll succeed. Confidence will minimize stress and put you in a better mood, allowing for a more enjoyable Finals Week and sending your test scores through the roof.

Ellen is a senior at the University of Kentucky, where she studies Integrated Strategic Communication with a Public Relations emphasis. She enjoys Netflix binging, online shoppping and is an avid One Direction fan!
"Sam I am," and I LOVE to read. Whether it's Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" or The Mortal Instruments series, I'm always reading. And when I'm not reading, I'm writing; English papers, magazine editorials, you name it! Italian food is my favorite, shoe shopping is my addiction, and I hate cold weather. I'm also a proud member of Slytherin house (we're not all bad, I swear).