Does the Culture Around Us Affect our Development?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UK chapter.

Photo by Priscilla Du Preez

Imitation. Instruction. Examples. This is how we become accustomed to our culture. How do we become the person we are today? So many factors play into our development such as family, peers and our view of ourselves. But how does culture come into play?

Culture by birth and the culture that we reside in (based on our region) are both parts of our society. Some think culture is innate, but some think that it is a learned behavior. I think it is mostly the latter. Behaviors, traits and habits that are exposed to us throughout our lifetime encompass what we learn from the culture we live in. The way we interact with others, and the way we respond to our environment result from culture in which we are surrounded.

Whether it is the expectations put on a child by their parents or the lack thereof, the culture of this child’s life can be determined by their guardians as well. Culture within a family can mean getting straight A’s, going to college and/or being kind to others. When older siblings go through the motions of life, the younger ones often imitate what they see. Instruction from the parents also influences their development along with examples of how they expect or want their children to behave.

The culture based on the environment in which we live is inevitable when shaping our lives. It is an unavoidable aspect of our development when looking at the big picture. As big of a role that family plays in our development and adaptation to culture, our environment affects who we become as well.

All in all, the culture in which we live takes a large role in our development. Morals, goals and expectations within our lives are all influenced by our familial culture as well as the environment in which we live. Pay attention to what behaviors you picked up from our family as well as your surroundings.   

Hi all, I'm Paige. You could find me outside or making art. I'm inspired to take on another semester leading a great group of girls at UK!