Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UK Blog

Feminism: College Edition

By Sam Rogers
September 24, 2014 - 12:00pm

Chances are, you’ve probably seen this trending hashtag at least a dozen times on your Twitter feed. It’s been on the news, with media coverage by every major news network around the world. More than 2.3 million tweets and counting have also gone out over the past month with this hashtag, according to Topsy.com. I’m sure you’ve guessed by now, but what does #YesAllWomen have to do with us college students? The answer? Everything. READ MORE

The Swoosh in Your Style: Is it a Bad Thing?

By Rachel Eberhart
September 16, 2014 - 2:00pm

READ MORE

You Might Be a UK Student If...

By Aryn Nordhoff
November 25, 2012 - 11:58pm

You might be a UK student if...

While shopping for furniture, you imagine which couch would look best burning on State St.
Either a goodwill couch or one from La-Z-Boy, we've all imagined how awesome it would be to set flames to our couches... Especially in honor of winning a 9th NCAA basketball championship with our closest +500 friends.

The only date you've been on lately are with a handsome man named Willy T.
Because even during finals, he is there for you.. All hours of the night and day. Also, Willy has free wifi, plenty of food and drinks in the basement, plus his own Starbucks.

You've tailgated for football games, but haven't made it to the actual game. ...

Breast Cancer Awareness at UK

By Aryn Nordhoff
October 27, 2012 - 6:55pm

October is the Breast Cancer Awareness month nationwide. Almost all universities around the US try to put in their part to help raise awareness. Why? Because they know that out of their hundreds or thousands of students, many have grandmothers, mothers, aunts, sisters or friends that have had, have, or will have breast cancer. We all can hope that these loved ones are survivors. Here at UK, students have been baring the signature pink ribbon to show their support towards breast cancer. Students on and off campus have been seen wearing the infamous ribbon on flip flops, t-shirts, buttons, and much more. Shops on campus have been advertising and selling Susan G. Komen items, where proceeds are donated. READ...

Wildcat Homecoming 2012

By Lyndsey Gough
October 14, 2012 - 5:02pm

Homecoming is right around the corner for UK. If you are looking to get involved on campus, or just want something to do next week, homecoming is the perfect chance. The theme for this years homecoming is “The Blueprint: Building on Tradition”. The Wildcat Cup will be awarded to the on campus organization with the most participation in the activities, so if you’re Greek or in any other club or organization be sure and score some points towards your group and help raise some school spirit! Saturday, October 13 Paint the Town Blue begins at 8 AM (ends Monday at 8 AM, windows remain decorated through Sunday, October 21). Windows on campus and around local businesses will be painted by UK student organizations to show school spirit....

UK Tailgaiting Bans: Good For Students or Hindering Team Spirit?

By Rachel Lolli
September 28, 2012 - 5:21pm

“My life is over.” This is the very first thing I said to my friend Katherine when I found out about the new tailgating regulations set by President Eli Capilouto. While this might seem a tad bit dramatic now, that’s literally how I felt the first few hours following the shock. A Kentucky tradition had just been ripped apart, eliminated faster than the first few to leave on the Bachelorette. READ MORE

Scraping Pennies or Rolling In The Dough?

By Rachel Lolli
September 21, 2012 - 10:18am

I’ve always wanted to be the kind of person who was good at saving money. Sometimes I even tricked myself into thinking that I was. I, however, am not really that clever. I know I’m terrible at it and I’m not sure when or where the trouble started. It seems as if I’ve only been bad at saving money since I arrived at college and my mindset was that everyone in college is poor. While everyone might be low on cash because of the high cost of college, it’s obvious that no two situations are alike. READ MORE

HC UK's Bucket List

By Lyndsey Gough
September 17, 2012 - 10:16pm

Freshman year can be one of the most exciting/overwhelming times of your life. To be sure all University of Kentucky freshman collegettes enjoy it to the fullest, here is a freshman year bucket list.: 1.) Rub Patterson’s foot.:
The statue of President Patterson in front of Patterson Office Tower is said to be good luck, during finals week lots of students will rub his foot for luck on their final exams. While you’re there, jump up in his lap and take a new profile picture! 2.) Sled/Mudslide in the bowl:
After the first snow grab something to sled on (storage tub lids work great!), bundle up and head for the Bowl in front of Willy T Library to sled! READ MORE

Fall 2012 New York Fashion Week Preview

By Jennifer Little
September 10, 2012 - 9:30pm

I, Jennifer Little, Freshman MAT (merchandising, apparel and textiles, that is) major at UK, am an absolute fashion lover. I cannot say that I am the end-all be-all in fashion advice, as I am a believer of the idea that true fashion and style comes from within a person, as opposed to the common notion that a fashionista must research trends until their laptops die and watch what others wear to know exactly what will look good. With that said, however, it is a major hobby of mine to do those things, as I feel like the clothes people wear is a wonderful window into their lives and the pieces traveling down runways around the world can provide inspiration for our own. READ MORE

The Start of Something New!

By Rachael Gilley
May 2, 2012 - 1:36pm

While Finals week is winding down, some students are racing to the end of May when they will officially be graduates of 2012, making their way to the University of Kentucky's Class of 2016! Now, to some of us this sounds insane. My younger brother is in that class, and to be honest it makes me feel like I'm from the Stone Age. But, to these incoming freshmen, it's the start of a new life, the start of the rest of their lives. We've all been there - the nervous student moving into the dorms for the first time, not really knowing anyone (unless you went to school in Lexington, like me. Then you recognize every other person). READ MORE