Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UK Archives

Campus Celebrity: Christie Horan

By Rachel Lolli
February 9, 2013 - 2:30pm

Christie Horan is no ordinary Marketing and Integrated Strategic Communications double major. Between putting projects together and cramming for tests, she also makes time for one little extracurricular activity: the University of Kentucky Dance Team. Horan says she’s always liked to dance but here she talks about what it’s like to be a part of something bigger than herself. When did you start dancing and how did you get involved? Probably before I could even walk! I was in my first dance class when I was three. My mom enrolled me in a “Mommy and me” dance class and I’ve been dancing ever since! How long have you been on the dance team? READ MORE

Kati Fisher

By Rachael Gilley
November 26, 2012 - 12:04am

Name: Kati Fisher Year: Freshman Major: ISC Minor: History What is your position at Smart Girls? I am the University of Kentucky Smart Girls Campus Representative. I heard about Smart Girls on a blog that I follow. There was a link talking about the positive impact Emily Raleigh, the founder, was making because she formed an online community called The Smart Girls Group. After reading their mission, I knew it was something I had to be involved in. As someone who believes that women can do everything men can, and wanting women to break the stereotype of a woman, the mission spoke to me. READ MORE

You Might Be a UK Student If...

By Aryn Nordhoff
November 25, 2012 - 11:58pm

You might be a UK student if...

While shopping for furniture, you imagine which couch would look best burning on State St.
Either a goodwill couch or one from La-Z-Boy, we've all imagined how awesome it would be to set flames to our couches... Especially in honor of winning a 9th NCAA basketball championship with our closest +500 friends.

The only date you've been on lately are with a handsome man named Willy T.
Because even during finals, he is there for you.. All hours of the night and day. Also, Willy has free wifi, plenty of food and drinks in the basement, plus his own Starbucks.

You've tailgated for football games, but haven't made it to the actual game. ...

Stress Free and Healthy: Staying Fit Over Winter Break

By Rachael Gilley
November 25, 2012 - 11:51pm

READ MORE

Breast Cancer Awareness at UK

By Aryn Nordhoff
October 27, 2012 - 6:55pm

October is the Breast Cancer Awareness month nationwide. Almost all universities around the US try to put in their part to help raise awareness. Why? Because they know that out of their hundreds or thousands of students, many have grandmothers, mothers, aunts, sisters or friends that have had, have, or will have breast cancer. We all can hope that these loved ones are survivors. Here at UK, students have been baring the signature pink ribbon to show their support towards breast cancer. Students on and off campus have been seen wearing the infamous ribbon on flip flops, t-shirts, buttons, and much more. Shops on campus have been advertising and selling Susan G. Komen items, where proceeds are donated. READ...

Great Ideas for Halloween Costumes!

By Rachel Lolli
October 14, 2012 - 5:19pm

If you haven’t thought about your Halloween costume yet, it’s time to start. Halloween is right around the corner and before you know it, you’ll be the only one wearing last year’s pregnant Beyoncé costume. Not to mention, college isn’t just one night in college, it can be multiple nights which means something more frightening than Paranormal Activity 3- multiple costumes. Yikes! But before you get too scared of this idea, think of it in a positive way. Now you don’t have to narrow your Halloween persona to just one character. So you can be scary and cute, sexy and funny. The best Halloween costumes are a mixture of both or even all of these things. But I know you’re probably busy with midterms and painting fraternity formal coolers, and it’s hard to...

Wildcat Homecoming 2012

By Lyndsey Gough
October 14, 2012 - 5:02pm

Homecoming is right around the corner for UK. If you are looking to get involved on campus, or just want something to do next week, homecoming is the perfect chance. The theme for this years homecoming is “The Blueprint: Building on Tradition”. The Wildcat Cup will be awarded to the on campus organization with the most participation in the activities, so if you’re Greek or in any other club or organization be sure and score some points towards your group and help raise some school spirit! Saturday, October 13 Paint the Town Blue begins at 8 AM (ends Monday at 8 AM, windows remain decorated through Sunday, October 21). Windows on campus and around local businesses will be painted by UK student organizations to show school spirit....

Madness In The Bluegrass

By Lyndsey Gough
September 28, 2012 - 5:38pm

I’m sure everyone saw the “tent city” taking over north campus last week. In case you were wondering why people would camp outside in the cool fall weather for a week, even braving the rain, the answer is simple - the first official basketball practice of the season. To Kentucky fans, Big Blue Madness is much more than just a practice. It is the first time fans get to see the new team in action, as well the beginning of another basketball season to which they hope to hang another banner at the end of. Big Blue Madness will take place October 12 in Rupp Arena starting at 5:00 pm, with a women’s volleyball game before the basketball begins. Tickets are sold out but the game will be aired on ESPN 2, ESPN U, and streamed at UK Athletics website....

UK Tailgaiting Bans: Good For Students or Hindering Team Spirit?

By Rachel Lolli
September 28, 2012 - 5:21pm

“My life is over.” This is the very first thing I said to my friend Katherine when I found out about the new tailgating regulations set by President Eli Capilouto. While this might seem a tad bit dramatic now, that’s literally how I felt the first few hours following the shock. A Kentucky tradition had just been ripped apart, eliminated faster than the first few to leave on the Bachelorette. READ MORE

Terrapin

By Jennifer Little
September 21, 2012 - 10:36am

READ MORE